This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

To the woman on the elevator,

I want to say thank you. You have no idea how much you have impacted me since that interaction.

Last Thursday, I overslept. I have maybe overslept a total of three times in my life (don’t worry, I knocked on wood), so the fact that I didn’t wake up until 7:51 a.m. on Thursday really stressed me out. Especially since I have an 8 a.m. Public Speaking class all the way across campus.

Normally, being a little late to a class isn’t that big of a deal. Well, this professor shuts and locks the classroom door at 8:05 and doesn’t let you in. You can’t knock on the door to be let in. This rule doesn’t bother me because I’m hardly ever late to class and I like the safety precautions.

I left my dorm at 8 looking rather rough and moving quite swiftly to try to make it to class. When I finally reached the top of the stairs on the third floor, I heard my professor shut the classroom door. Frustration was definitely an understatement at that point. I made my way to the elevator to go back home, where I had the neatest interaction.

I got on the elevator with a very pleasant looking lady. We exchanged smiles and good mornings. She asked me what my major was and I told her. Then she had the most puzzling yet exciting look on her face after I told her my response. She then said, “Wow, Agriculture Communications. That is such a wonderful major. I am so proud of you, being a woman and pursuing that degree. I hope you have a great day!” She then stepped off the elevator and I haven’t seen her since.

On my way home I expected to be crying and filled with frustration because I missed my first class since I have been in college. Especially when I put forth a lot of effort to try to make it there. Instead, I was in a good mood. That random woman made my day.

There’s something we can all take away from this. Smile and be encouraging. You never know what someone is going through and how just one simple interaction can make or break their day.

I am an Agriculture Communications Major with a Minor in English at the University of Tennessee at Martin (Class of 2021).
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.