kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What I’ve Gained From My Summer Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

It feels like I’ve spent this entire summer at the pool, but not the way most people have. I started lifeguarding in early June at the UTM Elam Center pool, and I’ve been there just about every day since I began working. Even though this means I’ve essentially worked every day of my summer “break,” I can’t really complain. I’ve enjoyed lifeguarding because it’s been the source of a lot of new positive things in my life, and therefore I’m glad to have spent my summer working. 

The main thing I’m grateful to have gained are new friendships. I already knew a few of the lifeguards from other campus organizations we’re involved in, but I didn’t really know them very well or spend any time with them. Now that I’m closer with them, I’m hoping we can continue the friendship in those other organizations. I’m especially glad to have found my roommate through lifeguarding – I had been searching for somewhere to live and someone to live with, and at work one day, my coworker and I discovered we were both in the same situation. Now, we have an apartment together, and I’m excited for us to live together this school year. I’ve heard people say that work friends have a bond unlike friendships formed anywhere else, and I now see how true this is. My “work friends” have turned into just “friends.”

Lifeguarding has been my first real work experience. I thought the transition into working regularly would be hard, especially since I would be giving up the majority my summer. However, I’ve realized that if I hadn’t been working this summer, I would’ve been incredibly bored. Sometimes it’s nice to be lazy, but only in moderation. With most of my friends gone for the summer or taking summer classes, I would’ve been pretty bored and lonely if not for lifeguarding. It was also nice making money to support myself; I’ve gained a sense of independence that I didn’t have before. Obviously, I can’t pay for everything with the money I make lifeguarding, but I can definitely pay for more than I used to, which is a big step toward real adulthood. 

During the school year, I’ll have a lot less time to work. I’m hoping I can manage work and school and social responsibilities without too many issues, and I’ll be looking forward to spending next summer poolside again. 

Claire is a sophomore at the University of Tennessee at Martin, close to her hometown of Union City, TN. Her major is Marketing with a minor in English and Psychology. Claire is a member of the University Scholars Organization and one of the sororities on campus. Claire enjoys spending her free time doing an assortment of activities with her friends and family, including kayaking, going on photo shoots, sitting in hammocks, traveling, and exploring outside. Claire's career in writing is just starting, and she's very excited to see where Her Campus takes her.
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.