Wellness > Mental Health

Ways To Cope With Seasonal Depression

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Ever feel like the holidays bring you down? Like every year when you are supposed to be filed with love and joy you just can’t get out of bed? Seasonal depression is real. Less sun combined with hiding inside from cold weather can get the best of even the happiest girl. So what can you do to keep your spirits up when the temperature goes down?

Find Light

Light makes you happy and the lack of light in winter months is a huge contributor to seasonal depression. So make sure you get the light you need. Light therapy works wonders and there are light boxes that will help improve your moon in the same ways as the sun. You can even find them on amazon. If you don’t want to drop bills on a light box, try spending as much time outside as you can without getting too cold, or sitting at a window rather than in artificial light while you do homework.

Eat Well

The better you eat the better you feel. It’s easy to fall into the habit of eating your favorite comfort foods when you’re not feeling yourself, but that’s not always the best idea. Save the carbs and other junk foods for the summer months when both your metabolism and mood are better equipped to handle them.

Stay Active

Working out does make you feel happier. It is hard to make yourself get up and out of the house when all you feel like doing is hiding under piles of blankets, but you’ll thank me once spring comes. Not only will you have your beach body ready, but you will have made it through winter with less depression and more “happy” days.  

Surround Yourself With Friends

Seasonal depression can make you want to find a lonely corner and stay there until six weeks after the groundhog sees his shadow (why we trust a groundhog for this decision I will never understand). Keeping friends with you will, however, make you feel less alone and happier. Don’t let the weather keep you from seeing the ones you love, especially at the holidays.  

Remember There is Help Available.

UTM has amazing facilities available and they are there for YOU. Utalize all the help you need, because you are worth taking care of.

Student Health and Counseling can be reached at 731-881-7750

The Suicide Hotline can be reached at 1-800-273-8255

I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.