The Top 10 Modern Christmas Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Christmas is a time filled with family, friends, presents and, of course, music. There’s no better way to get into the holiday spirit than by putting on some classic Christmas songs everyone knows, like “Jingle Bells” or “Rudolf the Rednosed Reindeer.” While the classics are great, modern Christmas songs are just as good for spreading cheer. Here are my top 10 favorite modern Christmas songs to blast all December long.

#10- “Christmas In The Sand” by Colbie Caillat

This cute, bubbly song is perfect for anyone who hates the cold but still loves Christmas. Colbie singing about spending the holiday on the warm beach will make you want to book a ticket to a tropical paradise instead of a winter wonderland.

#9- “Wrapped in Red” by Kelly Clarkson

Coming from someone who is far from Kelly Clarkson’s biggest fan, I have to say “Wrapped in Red” from her album of the same title is extremely catchy. Similar to “Red” by Taylor Swift, Kelly uses the color to represent her love for the man that she will risk it all to be with on Christmas. It might even inspire you to finally reveal your feelings to that special someone you’ve had your eye on all semester.

#8- “Christmas in Harlem” by Kanye West ft. CyHi the Prynce and Teyana Taylor

For those who like a less conventional Christmas song, this one is perfect for you. Kanye combines Christmas with rap, something that’s not done very often, but it actually works. The beat will have your attention from the beginning, and the lyrics and vocals will keep you hooked all the way through to the end.

#7- “8 Days of Christmas” by Destiny’s Child

Destiny’s Child is known for their addictive beats and love of designer clothes, and this song is the perfect combination of both. Beyoncé, Kelly and Michelle list all of the high-end Christmas presents given to them by their boyfriends, and honestly, it will make you a little jealous. We can dream, right?

#6- “Snowman” by Sia

Sia recently released her Christmas album Everyday is Christmas, and it’s filled with instant classics. The best song on the album is arguably “Snowman,” a soulful ballad that describes Sia’s love for her man, no matter what may come between them. This song is perfect if you prefer more classic, 50s inspired type of Christmas music.  

#5- “Mistletoe” by Justin Bieber

Even though most of us were probably in middle school when this Christmas album came out, the songs are as good now as they were then, and “Mistletoe” is no exception. This sweet love song will have you wishing you were Justin’s “shawty” as if you were still 14.

#4- “Santa Tell Me” by Ariana Grande

While this song was played on the radio a little, it never blew up like it had the potential to. Ariana’s insane vocals mixed with a cheery Christmas beat makes for the perfect song to play while relaxing by the fire with some hot chocolate.

#3- “Last Christmas” by Wham!

“Last Christmas” is a modern song that is still so iconic that it’s been covered an insane amount of times. No matter what artists you prefer, everyone has heard the chorus to this song at least a hundred times. Wham!’s upbeat 80’s hit is so fun to listen to, you almost forget how heartbreaking the lyrics are.

#2- “My Only Wish (This Year)” by Britney Spears

As an avid Britney fan, I honestly believe that this song is one of the best Christmas songs of all time. It’s catchy, upbeat and super pop-y, exactly what you would expect from Britney Spears. If you haven’t heard this song yet, you’re truly missing out.

#1- “All I Want for Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey

It wouldn’t be a Christmas playlist without this iconic Mariah Carey song. From the slow start to the festive buildup, it’s impossible not to sing along to every word. This is by far the best modern Christmas song, and it’s probably going to be stuck in your head for the rest of the day.

Photo courtesy of Pexels.

I am a junior Criminal Justice, Forensic Science major and Sociology minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. I'm from Nashville, but I love going to school in Martin and I am so happy to call this small town my home away from home! Find me on Instagram @chloewagner130