This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

The older I get, the more I realize how much I took for granted when I was younger. Growing up, it seems as though your mom will always be there because, well, that’s her job. You never really stop and think that maybe you should thank her. After being in college for about four years now, I have realized there are some things we should thank our moms for.

Late night phone calls

If you’re anything like me, you call your mom for just about everything. Except, in my case, it might not be so late at night. From asking how long to thaw out chicken to simply needing someone to talk to because I’m lonely, my mom has been there for everything. I’m sure a lot of college girls can relate, as well. This is definitely something a lot of us take for granted.

Doing our laundry when we come home for break

I don’t know about you, but I can remember how much I dreaded doing my laundry in the basement of my dorm. The trek down the stairs and across the courtyard was an adventure in itself, not to mention how many loads of laundry I had to do and pay for. Needless to say, when I went home for the weekend and breaks, it was time to do some laundry. My mom also had double the amount to do when my brother was home, but she never once made it seem as though she resented it. It was a good thing for her when I moved to an apartment my sophomore year, and that chore was now mine to do on a not-so-regular basis.

Sending home-cooked meals back to school

After a good weekend or break at home with your mom’s good home-cooking, there’s nothing more depressing than having to go back to eating the cheap dining hall food that makes you sick to your stomach. Thank goodness for leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes! I can’t keep count of the many times I brought food back to school with me simply to avoid the dining hall and eating fast food. If you know Martin, TN, then you know there isn’t much to choose from. McDonald’s and Zaxby’s does get a little old after eating it repeatedly.

Constant encouragement

College is tough, but having a support system helps matters. Being able to talk through worries about school and life in general always makes the day better because you know you have someone there rooting for you.

Being proud of us no matter what

No matter what may be going on, our moms are always proud of us. I think that’s a right of passage as a parent. When you don’t do so great on a test, they’re still there to tell you they’re proud of you for trying your hardest. Sure, they may wish you had done better and weren’t disappointed in yourself. No parent wants to see their son or daughter beat themselves up over one test grade. They never give up on us or lose faith in us.

I could continue on with even more things we as college students should thank our moms for. They really are there for everything when we need it. They’ve been there through the good, the bad and the ugly. We really can’t thank them enough for all the things they’ve done for us throughout the years. After all, they did pretty much give most of their lives to us for the first few years of ours. When you stop and think about it, we truly do take a large majority of the things they’ve done for us for granted. So here’s my thanks to you, Mom.

Photo courtesy of Pixabay.

I'm a senior Ag Communications major and Zeta Tau Alpha sister. I love coffee, my family and dogs.