free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spending the Summer in Martin …. Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

As all my friends were packing up to go home for the summer, I was lounging around planning my summer alone in Martin. Working for grounds making minimum wage and doing my own thing. I was planning to adult. Those of you that know me know that’s not the thing Cheyenne does. I mean I was full-fledge adulting. I was paying my own bills, working full time and even cooking my own food. I was doing the dang thing and I was proud.

Every good thing has to have a down side though, right? That downside was that the majority of my friends had traveled back home, most nearly across the state. So ultimately I spent my afternoons chilling at the dog park or going to sonic, but the majority of the time I spent napping or staring at the ceiling, because I could not afford the WiFi. A whole summer without Netflix? Yeah, I know I’m crazy. But what I am getting at is that this summer has probably been one of the best.

Again, you’re probably thinking I’m nuts, because how can a summer full of dog hair and naps be the best? Living on my own helped me learn a lot about myself, and helped me be less dependent on others. I’ve became a much more open-minded person, and it has lead me to a couple friendships that will last much longer than just the summer. Plus, I have become an independent young woman who don’t need any financial support, for the most part. I have learned how to make 20 bucks and a quarter tank of gas last me for two weeks. Yeah, I’m good like that. So when summer of 2019 rolls around, think about finding a job here on campus or close to it and spending it here in Martin. It may just be the summer of awakening for you!

Cheyenne Johnson is a sophomore at the University of Tennessee at Martin and she is currently studying Agricultural Communications. Cheyenne comes to Martin from the small town of Scotts Hill that is located in West TN. She discovered she loved Martin once she had the chance to participate in the Tennessee Governors School of the Agricultural Sciences She is a sister of Sigma Alpha and is serving as the chapter Secretary. She is also a part of collegiate FFA as well as other organizations on campus. She is extremely excited to start this new journey with Her Campus at UTM.
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.