Sometimes I Wish Valentine’s Day Didn’t Grow Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

If you know me, you know that Valentines’ Day is by far my favorite holiday out of the entire year. Valentines’ Day became my favorite holiday when I first began preschool and we would have a party on February 14, or the closest day to the date. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely still adore the day and everything I do and share with my fiancé, friends and family to celebrate the day now, but sometimes I miss those preschool and elementary school parties and how we celebrated then.

A lot of my earliest Valentines’ memories are with my mom. I remember my mom would always go to school with me on the day of the party to help out the teacher with everything. Before, we would always pick out a red or pink outfit for the occasion, which I still do today.  Mom would always take me to the store to either pick out my Valentines’ day cards (or all of the supplies I needed to make them) and the supplies I needed to make card box. Then, she would help me put everything together until it was perfect. 

My favorite part of my childhood Valentines’ Days was after the party when mom and I got to open up all of the Valentines’ Day cards from my classmates. I just really enjoyed seeing all of the effort my friends put into their cards or which cards they picked out to specifically give to me. It was also a lot of fun to see how much everyone else enjoyed this too.

Sometimes I wish Valentines’ Day didn’t grow up. I wish in the workforce everyone still did this. I wish we all made our cute little boxes and cards and handed them out to all of our friends or coworkers. Imagine how much fun that would be and how many peoples’ days would be made. We could all be each other’s Valentines, rather than everyone focusing on not having one or saying the day is dumb just because you don’t have one. This is why I always get little cards for my close friends and family and cute stereotypical Valentines’ Day stuff for my fiancé because I just love their reactions.

Sometimes, when you try, Valentines’ Day doesn’t entirely have to grow up.

I am an Agriculture Communications Major with a Minor in English at the University of Tennessee at Martin (Class of 2021).
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.