So, You’re Thinking About Law School: Part 3

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Last day of this law school advice series! Take in as much information as you can. It may help you make the best decision of your life! You can read yesterday’s segment here.

10) What are your goals for after law school?

AP: “My goal is to be a business litigator at a large law firm in either Connecticut or Washington, D.C., as I work my way up to becoming a partner and eventually a judge.”  

DM: “This summer I fell in love with the two jobs I had, working with USC Law admissions office and as a compliance intern with USC Athletics. A position working for a collegiate athletic compliance office or within law school student affairs would be a dream come true.”

SO: “To find someone that will hire me. Honestly, my aspiration is to work in consumer protection, either with the state in the Attorney General’s office or with a national agency such as the Federal Trade Commission, Consumer Finance Protection Bureau or the Department of Justice.”

MK: “Pass the BAR, also employment. I thought I knew what kind of lawyer I wanted to be, then I got here and realized I didn’t even know how many different ways there are to use your law degree. Ask me again soon.”

11) What is some advice you would give to students beginning their journey into law school?

AP: “First, never underestimate yourself. Everyone in law school is very intelligent and has had a wide range of experiences, but your experiences and your opinions are just as valuable and important as anyone else’s. Don’t be afraid to raise your hand in class and share your views or ask any questions that you have. Second, make time to still go out and enjoy yourself. Stepping away from your work is really good for your mind and will make you much happier overall. Third, enjoy every second because it goes by way too fast!”

DM: “Find a major you absolutely love. I think there are a lot of students who want to go to law school have this belief that you can only have a few majors, which is not the case. You are a more competitive applicant if you stray from the norm of political science and criminal justice.  Have faith in yourself and your dreams. Anything is possible!”

SO: “Keep an open mind and trust the process. If something does not work out, do not keep dwelling on it. Use this as an opportunity to launch into something you’re passionate about because if you don’t, you will wind up unhappy. Without motivation to study something or somewhere, law school is going to be miserable.”

MK: “Practice reading for comprehension. That sounds dumb, but do it. Also if this is your calling, don’t let anyone talk you out of it. I can’t tell you how many people will look at you like you are crazy for choosing law school, or will make rude comments or jokes about lawyers. IF YOU FEEL CALLED TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL, DON’T LET ANYTHING STOP YOU. Also, don’t get discouraged, because there are definitely hard days, but the good days make the bad days so worth it. LEARN PUNCTUATION AND GRAMMAR IT IS IMPORTANT. I DIDN’T KNOW THAT I DIDN’T KNOW HOW TO USE A COMMA UNTIL I GOT TO LAW SCHOOL.”

12) How do you feel knowing that younger students want to be exactly where you are right now?

AP: “It makes me excited for them that they get to go through this experience because it is unlike any other experience they will ever have.”

DM: “There are many times throughout our lives in which we look up to others. It is really nice that I may be an encouraging factor for others during a challenging time in their life. “

SO: “It’s encouraging for me to know that I am in a spot where people look up to me. I think that we all are prone to take things for granted, but when we stop to pause and think about little victories we accomplish that we take for granted, we realize the effect we can have on those around us. This is something I think of often, and something that motivates me to be better than I am the day before.”

MK: “I want to help them and guide them through the process and the questions. Maybe that’s just the sorority woman in me, but any chance to take on new ‘littles’ makes me excited.”

13) Anything else you want to add?

DM: “The best advice I can give to others, is to work prior to attending law school.  I took a year off to work prior to attending law school and looking back, I wish I had worked longer.  This may be a different point than you will hear from other law students or professors, but anytime you are able to set yourself apart from others during the law school and job application processes will always give you a leg up. I have found that classmates of mine that have taken time to have a first career or work for some period of time prior to law school have done better in our courses and can apply their previous work experience to many instances during our courses.”

SO: “Law school can be scary, and it can be miserable, I won’t lie about it. There are days still where I question why I am doing this. But you have to remember why you came and what you can do for others once you get into practice. This driving motivation keeps my head in the game and ultimately will help me be the best lawyer I can be, not for myself, but for my future clients.”

MK: “If you call a school you are interested in to go on a tour, see if you can sit in on a class! Also, it’s OK to ask the student ambassadors what to wear to law school. That sounds silly, but before orientation, nobody knew, and everyone was worried to sound dumb by asking. Just ask. Anything you are unsure about, someone else has been through it; reach out to them, they want to help you.”

With all of this advice, go out into the law school world and conquer it! It may end up being the best decision you have ever made, just like it was for these law students. Good luck, and in the words of Elle Woods, “You must always have faith in people, but most importantly, you must always have faith in yourself.”

Photo courtesy of Pixabay.

Brigitte Curcio is a Senior at the University of Tennessee at Martin. She is studying Public Relations and Women's Studies. She is from Connecticut and moved south for school to be on the Division 1 Skyhawk Rifle Team. She is a sister of Zeta Tau Alpha and she serves as Panhellenic President among many other leadership positions around campus. She is so proud that she is able to be a part of bringing Her Campus to UTM.