This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Attending a university in a small town fosters a unique college experience. It allows students to feel right at home, even when they are hours away from home. It doesn’t take long to find the best places to eat or nearby towns with things to do on the weekend. It’s nearly impossible not to make friends. Being in a small town just changes the dynamic of the undergraduate college experience.

The classroom scene is so different from a larger university. Your professors will likely know your name in only a week or two, and there will be fewer students in each class. This allows for a more in-depth discussion on topics and makes learning more fun. You’ll also see your professors outside of class. You’ll run into them at the grocery store or see them when you’re out eating. They’re more likely to attend on campus events, and a lot of professors will even show up to support students in their classes. You’ll get to know the peers in your classes because you’ll likely have classes with many of them again. They will quickly become your friends, and sometimes they become your friends for life. If nothing else, they will be a quick smile and a hello on your way to classes.

Small towns have a close-knit community. There are small businesses all over, and the entire community comes together to support them. You walk in the doors of these businesses, and you get to meet the owners and see the effort they put into their business. As a bonus, they are always giving back to their communities as well. It’s always nice to buy a cup of coffee, a fresh donut, or some delicious BBQ from a small business.

I am so glad I chose to attend a university in a small town. I would choose this experience over and over again. Being in a small town made my college experience much better than it would have been if I was in a larger city. There are some downsides to a small town, but I think there are far more benefits. If you’re searching for your college home, I would encourage you to consider a small-town university so you can get to know your community, professors, and peers better. There’s truly nothing else like it when it comes to getting an education.

Romans 5:8  I attend the University of Tennessee at Martin as a Psychology major. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my friends, reading books, and taking naps. 
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.