samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Only the Luckiest People Get Little Sisters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

My little sister, Sophie, and I are four years and three months apart. When we were younger, this age difference seemed drastically far apart, but now that we are older, it’s not that far at all. Sophie is quickly approaching her 15th birthday, and as I was feeling very nostalgic one day, I begin to wonder how she remembers some of the things that I remember from our childhood. Sophie has always been my own little doll. I fixed her hair before I went to school and before she went to daycare and elementary school. I read her books, picked out her clothes and, of course, she was my model for play makeup when we were little. I decided to interview her and see which memories were her favorites and what her current interests are. Years from now, this will be a fun way to look back on her freshman year of high school and see how far she has come. I am so very thankful for the sweet, smart, witty and beautiful little sister I have, who is also my best friend.    What are you most looking forward to in the near and distant future? I’m most looking forward to the next four years of high school and the memories I’m going to make.   Who inspires you the most? I’m inspired by many people but, overall, I think my mom inspires me the most. She is the strongest and most selfless woman I know.   What is your favorite class you’ve taken so far and why? My favorite class I’ve taken so far is ninth grade World History. I’ve never been fond of history until this year because we cover events like world religions, The Renaissance, and The Reformation.   What is your favorite food and who makes it? My favorite food is the buffalo chicken tater-tot casserole my mom makes.   What is your all-time favorite movie and why? My all-time favorite movie is Endless Love, because I love the actors and the plot is very good.   How do you picture yourself spending your retirement? If I were to picture my retirement, I’d want to spend it traveling with my future husband.   What is your favorite activity to do with people and favorite activity to do alone? My favorite activity to do with people is really just sitting around and talking. Some of my best memories with my friends are from sitting in each other’s living rooms or cars just listening to music and talking.  My favorite activity to do alone is simply listening to music and cleaning or doing homework. I enjoy being with friends but also value my alone time and spend it cleaning and organizing my room and bathroom.   If you could live anywhere, where would you go and why? If I could live anywhere I’d want to live in Fort Worth, Texas because the city itself is absolutely beautiful and there are so many things to do and see.   What is your favorite gift that you’ve ever received? My favorite gift I’ve ever received was tickets to see Panic! At The Disco in concert at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex.   What is a fun fact about yourself? A fun fact about myself is that I listen to many different types of music and I am very into bands like The 1975, Panic! At The Disco, Weezer, Saint Motel and Misterwives.   What are a few things you have on your bucket list? A few things on my bucket list are to go on a mission trip to another country, go on a hot air balloon ride and visit Italy, Greece and France.   What is your favorite childhood memory? On every Christmas Eve, one of my parents would drive my sister, my brother and I around to look at Christmas lights in the pajamas we’d receive as Christmas presents.   What was your favorite book as a child and who read it to you? My favorite book as a child was Goodnight Moon, and my parents would read it to me or my sister until I was able to read it on my own.   What is your favorite holiday and why? My favorite holiday is Easter because it is a day we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. It’s the one time of year we have a huge family get-together to eat, play games, have an Easter egg hunt and catch up.     Happy 15th Birthday Sophie. I love you. 

Hi I'm Allie, I'm from Alabama. I am a Animal science-Veterinary science major. I have ridden horses for 14 years and competed for 6. I love cooking and baking for everyone! Mac and cheese is my biggest weakness.