This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

What was your very first kiss like? I’m told that everyone remembers their first kiss, whether it was a small peck in elementary school on the playground or a nervous kiss as a freshman in high school on the second date. When I moved away for college, I quickly learned that nearly everyone around me had already experienced their first kiss. I, however, had not. I was eighteen, and I had never been kissed. I didn’t fit in with all of my new friends, and I was okay with that.

For me, this means I didn’t have anything to contribute to the conversation when my friends were all talking about how good, bad, sweet, gross or awkward their first kiss was. Some of their stories were funny. Others were cute and romantic. I had nothing to say, though. I didn’t even have an idea of what it would be like. The extent of my knowledge was movies and books, and the first kisses are always perfect in those! That is obviously not the case in real life…or can it be?

I had my first kiss during my first year of college with my first “real” boyfriend. Sure, some people think I’m weird for waiting so long, but it was so worth the wait. I waited until I was in love with the sweet guy I was dating. I waited until it felt right for me. I waited until I knew I would have no regrets. I waited until I was dating my boyfriend. To me, everything about my first kiss and the whole night was perfect. It was definitely an unforgettable night filled with nervous butterflies and lots of happy smiles. Some people think I made a big deal out of nothing, but it was something special for me that I will always remember because my first kiss was with the guy I love, my first love. My boyfriend was so incredibly patient with me. He never once tried to rush me into things, and he waited until I was ready to take that step in our relationship. The best part about this is he didn’t even know I had never kissed someone, and he was still willing to wait. Get you a guy that wants to wait because you asked him to, no questions asked. Because you are worth the wait.

Some people may think that’s a bit silly or that I am overreacting. It’s just a simple kiss after all. A kiss is something that doesn’t mean much in today’s society, but it still meant something to me. I’m here to tell you that you can make the most out of your memories and experiences in life. You should never feel pressured to do something because all of your friends have already done it or because your boyfriend wants you to. Do things when you want to. Do them when you’re ready to. And don’t rush it. I believe something beautiful comes from waiting. Don’t be ashamed if you’re in college and have never kissed someone– you’re definitely not alone. On the other hand, don’t be ashamed if you’ve already had your first kiss. Everyone is different, and everyone has different timing for things. Just remember that it is okay to wait for your timing.

Romans 5:8  I attend the University of Tennessee at Martin as a Psychology major. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my friends, reading books, and taking naps.