courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

To My Best Friend Who is Miles Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Growing up living minutes away from people who you consider to be your absolute best friends is one of the greatest blessings this life can give. I don’t think many of us ever consider, though, that you won’t always live that close to one another. You won’t always be able to call them and meet up within 10 minutes. You don’t think about going to college one day and being hundreds of miles away from them. You don’t consider the fact that you may not get to see those people for months at a time, or even talk to them every day like you used to. Many times, you don’t even realize how much you miss those people until you stop and realize how you haven’t seen them since August, and it’s now November. So, there are a few things I would like to say to my best friend who is miles away that you may want to say to yours as well.

I hope you’re doing well. It has been awhile since we have been able to seriously sit down and talk about how you’re doing. I hope school and work are going well. I hope the person you have been dating is good to you and I can’t wait to get to know them. I can’t wait to meet all the new friends you’ve made. I’m excited to learn about what you’re involved with and where you spend your time now. I can’t wait to just simply catch up.

I am proud of you. I don’t think any of us hear that enough. I’m proud of what you have accomplished. I’m proud of how you’re making your life better. I’m proud of how hard you are working to do well in school. I’m proud of you no matter what degree and job you end up with. I’m proud of how you are working to do things on your own. I’m proud of the decisions you have made. Don’t let failing a quiz or hateful words get you down, because in the grand scheme of things, you know that they don’t matter. I’m specifically and immensely proud of you.

I miss you. I miss being able to go to your house all the time. I miss the countless selfies. I miss the heart-to-heart and face-to-face conversations. Most of all, I miss the endless laughter. However, I’m somewhat grateful for the distance between us because I know it is only making our friendship stronger. Please never forget that I am only a phone call away. I’m so excited to see you over Thanksgiving break. I love you best friend!

I am an Agriculture Communications Major with a Minor in English at the University of Tennessee at Martin (Class of 2021).