freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Long Distance Relationships and Why They Are Worth It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Let me start this off by saying that I get it. You think your relationship is the best out of everybody else’s. You and your Prince Charming are doing perfectly fine while he is riding around in the enchanted forest and you are 500 miles away living in your castle. You probably don’t mind being so far away because he calls you every night and you both FaceTime when you can. A majority of your conversations are about when you will see each other next…I get it.

You have to admit, though, that sometimes long distance relationships just stink. I know this because I’m in one. They’re just the worst because no matter how much you trust your significant other, sometimes that doubting thought of, “I wonder what he’s doing without me? Is he seeing someone else? He could get away with it so easily… I’d never know…” suddenly comes creeping back into your mind. That quote, “Distance makes the heart grow fonder,” could not be truer in this instance.

I’ll let you in on a secret: It’s going to be okay.

Although long distance relationships are not for everybody and can be extremely difficult at times, trust me when I say they are worth it. I once dated a guy, and we saw each other almost every day. Being the independent person I am, I could not handle it. I needed some “me time.” I needed a place of quiet retreat where it was me and no one else. In that relationship, I never found it. It felt like I was being smothered. If that’s you in your relationship now, I advise you to talk with your S.O. Let them know that sometimes you just want to be by yourself, and it’s okay if you don’t see each other for a day or two.

Long distance relationships are worth it because, above all else, you are learning. First, you are learning to be independent. He will not be there to help you or be with you every second of the day; some things you will just have to face alone. Embrace this time because if your relationship lasts, having the ability to do things and handle situations by yourself will go such a long way.

Second, and most importantly, you are learning to love yourself. If someone is there to constantly you remind you that you are beautiful, loved and cherished, what will you do when one day they don’t? If you are in a long distance relationship, take this time to truly stand on your own two feet. Realize that you are beautiful, not because someone tells you that, but because you believe it yourself. Have the confidence to look in the mirror every morning, and tell yourself that your identity is not in your relationship because you KNOW who you are. Let me tell you first, you are a freaking masterpiece.  

Now, when you and your S.O. get together for a date or finally get to live in the same places, you both now independent, stronger and way more confident. If the relationship doesn’t work out, you know you can move on without him and be okay. If it does, you have the amazing qualities that will endure when times get tough. My encouragement to you is to stick it out. This long distance stuff may be hard for a season, but it will so be worth it when it’s over.

Picture Credit: Pexels

Redhead Radio Rebel with a passion for Younglife, Haiti, and Chance the Rapper