This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Dear Sister,

Throughout my life, for as long as I remember, you have always been there. You are a part of nearly all of my childhood memories. Only a couple of years separate us in age, and yet it feels like we grew up in different decades. Sometimes I feel like there’s no way we are related to one another because of our different personalities. Other days, I get so annoyed with you because we are too much alike. Having a sister is an interesting and kind of chaotic experience. You “borrow” my clothes way too often and usually without my knowledge. We argue, hang out, go shopping and have movie nights at home. I paint your nails, and you try to teach me about makeup. We are best friends some weeks and each other’s enemies the next.

You copied me for half your life when you were still learning about the world, and now you have your own sense of style and way of doing things. It’s been strange watching you grow up and transform into your own person. I have watched you grow from the tiny redhead that you were when you were born, to the feisty teenager that you are now.

I just wanted to say that despite all of your flaws, you are becoming a wonderful individual. You know how to stand your ground, and you don’t take any crap from anyone. You have a voice, and you are not afraid to use. Keep these attributes. They come in handy when you go off to college and start meeting all kinds of new people. I have watched you evolve from the shy girl who never wanted to leave home to the social butterfly that wants to go somewhere all the time. I watched you go from struggling with English basics to becoming one of the most well spoken and beautiful writers I know, even though you would never acknowledge that skill. My point is, you have grown so much in such a short amount of time. There’s no telling what all you will do when you set your mind to it.

Last, but not least, I am proud of you. I don’t really say that enough, but I am proud of all the things you have and will accomplish. You will do great things in your life as long as you stay focused and never lose sight of your goals.

I love you! Keep being you.

Your Big Sister.

Romans 5:8  I attend the University of Tennessee at Martin as a Psychology major. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my friends, reading books, and taking naps.