I’m Settling in My Early 20s, and I’m Happy About It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

I’m 21 years old, and I’m about to graduate college. I’m also about to get married, and I couldn’t be happier. There’s nothing better than knowing that when I go out into the next layer of the “real world,” I will always have someone to come home to at night, someone I can call on the drive home and someone I can tell all of the details of my day to, good or bad. For me, there’s nothing better than knowing that I’m “settling” right now at this point in my life.

I have friends who don’t really understand why I’m so eager to get married and start my life with someone at so young of an age. They’re nervous to do the same because they don’t want to get stuck somewhere, or they’re scared these relationships will hold them back from something. And, honestly, it’s not like that for me. I have an immense amount of security in knowing that I’ve already found the person I’m supposed to be with forever and how lucky I am to have found him at such a young age. So, yeah, I’m going to marry him at 22. And I’m going to be ecstatic about it. After that, there’s absolutely nothing holding us back from doing anything we want in life. Now, we just get to do it all together.

There’s something incredibly special about finding someone who you share the same interests with, and it’s even more special when they gladly take on those interests with you. For me, I love to travel, and so does my fiancé. In fact, we spent our entire summer traveling Europe together and getting to experience a completely different side of each other. I think this is what really solidified our relationship and made us realize how perfect we are for each other. Now, we make plans to travel the world again together one day, multiple times. Nothing is set in stone, but that’s the glory of being with your person at such a young age. You’ve got the rest of your lives to pick up old plans and dust them off so that they can be put to use.

To all those girls and guys out there afraid to settle down right now, don’t be. Don’t settle just because you can, though. Make sure you’re happy where you are in life, not necessarily physically, but mentally and emotionally. When you’re at that point and you know what you want out of your future, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with getting married or moving away or anything else that others would consider “big steps” in your life. You do you because, at the end of the day, you’re the only one who can make decisions regarding your own happiness.

Photo courtesy of Pexels.

Hi! My name is Katie, and I am a Senior English major at the University of Tennessee at Martin! My passion is writing, but I really like traveling and dogs, too.