andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

I Planned My Own Proposal Without Knowing It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

I have been dreaming of and praying about this day since I was a little girl. I have been thinking about the outfit I would wear, where, when and how it would go, what the ring would look like and all of the little details. More importantly though, I have been praying about the man on one knee every day for as long as I can remember. I never imagined in all of my dreams that I would plan the whole proposal out without even knowing it.

Prior to December 14th, 2019, the day of our engagement, I had been dating my now fiancé for over two years. So, needless to say he knows me very well. He knew that I wanted my nails done for the day. He knew that I wanted pictures of the proposal. He knew that I wanted him to ask my parents and grandparents for their blessing. He even knew what kind of ring I liked. He knew I wanted it to be special.

After December 14th, 2019 I learned so many things about this day and everything leading up to it. On Black Friday, my fiancé went and picked out the most perfect ring. He then called my best friend and told her to make sure I had my nails done the week of finals. After that, he came to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family on the very same day. While I was playing a game with my nephew, he went downstairs that night and asked my parents’ permission to marry me. Just about two weeks later, we celebrated Christmas with my grandparents on the morning of December 14th. He got there early so that he could talk to them about what he had planned later on that day.

Meanwhile during all of the preparation for the day, a lady at our congregation, who is a photographer, came up to us and said she was trying to think of a Christmas present to give us and she came up with a photo shoot. I never was suspicious of anything! I was just so excited to take really cute pictures with my man! In reality, he had asked her to be there for the special day. So, I picked the day and time we did it on. I also even picked out what we wore for the pictures! I had no idea I was planning my own proposal.

On December 14th, 2019, after our Christmas festivities, we headed back to Dickson, Tennessee. Before we even got in the car to go though, my nana told him congratulations when we left, and he accidently hit my head with the trunk of the car. On the way there, my fiancé would hardly talk to me. I thought I had done something wrong; I couldn’t figure out why he was congratulated. I thought that he was mad at me because I didn’t realize there was anything to be nervous about and my head hurt! When we got to his grandmother’s house, his grandmother was worried about how dirty his hands looked. I didn’t understand why his hands would even be in the picture!

When we got to the photoshoot, he took a long time before coming around the car. I learned later he was making sure the ring was secure in his pocket because the box was too obvious. We took several pictures before the actual proposal. I really suspected nothing at that point. I was just trying to find cute sceneries for our pictures. After a while, he suggested we go take a picture in front of the Christmas tree in downtown Dickson. Once we were there, he turned to me and I knew exactly in that moment what was about to happen. I am so proud of myself because I didn’t ugly cry. Everything was absolutely perfect.

I am so grateful and amazed at everyone who was involved in order to make this day so perfect. I am also amazed at the amount of people who knew, and I didn’t find out. I am so grateful for my extremely thoughtful fiancé who managed to get this all together and it be exactly what I wanted and still be a surprise. I am even happy with the fact that I planned my own proposal without knowing it.

I am an Agriculture Communications Major with a Minor in English at the University of Tennessee at Martin (Class of 2021).