Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Say “I Love You” Without Saying “I Love You”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Saying “I love you” and loving someone can be two very different things. Sometimes we aren’t ready to say the three little words, but we still want to show the other person we care. Sometimes we’ve fallen into a routine and saying the words are easier than living by them. Whether it be with friends, family or your partner- it’s important to show those you care about how you feel. Actions speak louder than words. Here are a few simple things that show someone you love them, even if you’re not ready for the L word.

1. Ask them about their day.

Ask them about their day and listen. Be excited when they’re excited. Be sad when they’re sad. If you pay attention to what they’re saying the person you care about will notice, and it will mean a lot to them.

2. Remember the little things.

Remember if they have a test that day, or if they have an important meeting. Tell them good luck and that they’ll do great beforehand and ask them how it went after. They’ll appreciate you remembering and it might just give them the extra boost they need to do well.

3. Ask their opinion.

Even if you don’t need their permission, asking someone their thoughts goes a long way. Checking with your person before making a decision makes them feel important and like they have value. Even if you don’t go with what they said they’ll still appreciate the chance at being heard.

4. Make sure they got home safe.

Whether it be down the street or across the country it will give you both peace of mind. They’ll know you were thinking of them and you’ll know they got home alright. The same goes with telling someone you got home. They didn’t ask just to be nice, so make sure they know you got where you needed to be.

5. Let them know you’re there for them.

Tell them your door is always open and your phone is always on if they need anything. Yes they know that already, but hearing it from you will remind them how much you are. If they are going through a rough patch, don’t let them go through it alone. They’ll always remember and be grateful you were there.

6. Tell them how you feel.

Tell them you love spending time with them. Tell them you smile when they smile. Tell them you miss them. Tell them the truth. They’ll know what you mean.

I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.