sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

There aren’t many things I love more than going to the movies. I get a rush of excitement just entering the theatre. The smell of the overly-buttery popcorn makes me break my diet every time. Going to the movies is a treat to myself. It’s a simple but fun date.

I’m always looking for more movies to go see. Since the awards season weighs heavily on when movies are released, there is a dead season for movies. We’re just now exiting that season, and I’m so ready for all of the great movies slated to arrive in theatres this October. In order by release date, here are four movies you need to see when they hit theaters.

Friday, October 5 – A Star Is Born

This classic has now seen several versions. The original first premiered in 1937 and has been updated and perfected throughout the years. Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand and now Lady Gaga have starred as the leading female role. Reviews for the 2018 installation have been stellar with many reviewers promising an Oscar nomination or two. The people who fought for this movie fought hard. I could not be more excited to see this movie this weekend.

Friday, October 12 – Beautiful Boy

Timothee Chalamet has recently come into the spotlight, and every project he has participated in has had Oscar buzz. This film is based on a pair of memoirs by a father and son. In this movie, he plays a young addict. His father is played by Steve Carell. I recommend this for anyone interested in the awards season because you’ll definitely see this title around.

Friday, October 19 – The Hate U Give

This movie is bound to give us the political commentary so many crave these days. Amandla Stenberg is a strong force in Hollywood, and I can’t wait to see what she brings to this role. I read the book over the summer, and I haven’t forgotten even one part of it so far. The way the characters interact is so realistic and makes the book all the more tragic.

Friday, October 19 – Halloween

I’d watch any movie with Jamie Lee Curtis, especially a reprisal of her role as Laurie Strode to fight off Michael Myers one more time. Of course, you need some spooky movies in October.

Yes, you might be a bit busy on October 19, but it will be worth it. There are lots of great movies coming out this month, but I’m particularly excited by the four I’ve listed.

I am a sophomore broadcast communications major and theatre minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. When I’m not in class or participating in events on campus, I spend my time reading, doing yoga, working out, or petting my cats.
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.