jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Everyone Deserves Happiness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

We live in a society that thrives on the suffering of others. We are surrounded by television shows, music and even our media promoting the idea of getting ahead by hurting others. We see political candidates slam their peers and watch “real” housewives battle it out through passive aggression and bad mouthing one another. This isn’t beneficial to ANYONE. We have to understand that everyone deserves to be happy… even if right now we aren’t.

It’s easy to wish the worst upon someone who we don’t like. We wish the girl who got the guy we wanted is dumped and is as miserable as we are. We wish the student next to us got a lower grade than we did. We wish that whatever is happening to us upon others, and it needs to stop. Just because someone got what you wanted doesn’t mean it should be taken away.

We need to start being happy for those around us instead of letting our ugly green monsters get the better of us. Don’t unfollow that old friend from high school because you’re sick of her engagement pics. Stop rolling your eyes every time you see a “I got into grad school” post. And please end the whole hating your ex’s new boo thing. The problem isn’t with other people. The problem is with us. It’s time to start smiling and saying congratulations, rather than staying silent and wishing others the worst.

It’s time to start swallowing our pride and admitting we don’t always get with we want. We need to start being happy for those around us. Yes, you deserve to be happy, but so does that B-word that stole your man. We all deserve to be happy. Start living by the golden rule and treating others the way you want to be treated. I promise the good things in life will follow if you do.

I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.