Dear Person Who Thinks Greek Life is Trash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

To whomever it may concern:

Given the recent outcry for the wanting of Greek Organizations to be banned in the state of Tennessee, I have a few words for you. Without my sorority, I would not have been able to achieve what I have in my three years of going to the University of Tennessee at Martin.  

There have been many great opportunities that being a part of a Greek Organization has offered me that many people do not seem to understand. While being in a sorority, I have done more community service than I might not have done otherwise, because I would not have known about those opportunities. Honestly, being involved in any group is better than being involved in nothing, even if it is a sorority and not an honor society.

If not for my sorority, I might not have had the same motivation to keep up my grades like I have since I do not have a special scholarship in which my GPA has to be above a certain threshold. In order to be in good standing with my chapter, I have to have a 2.55 GPA. This is the required GPA to be able to go events and to be able to participate in activities, such as Line Dance, Rope Pull, All Sing, Mixers etc. Even with this GPA, though, a person would still have study hours that would need to be completed in order to go to such events. In order to not have study hours, one would need a 3.14 GPA. It has been my goal since joining my sorority to maintain at least a 3.14 because, not only would it improve my overall GPA, but also because I do not enjoy having study hours. My GPA raised significantly when I joined a sorority compared to when I was not. People in Greek Life have a higher overall GPA than those who are not in a Greek Organization.

Because of my involvement in my sorority, I have gained leadership skills from holding positions. I have been able to gain insight on how to lead and how to host events because of my positions. I might not have been able to do such if I had not had the opportunities from my sorority.

Being a sorority woman should not be such a defining factor of my character. Because there have been negative reports of instances that have happened because of certain people being in a Greek Organization, I should not be stereotyped because of my involvement in Greek Life. My sorority does not promote drinking; we have strict rules about drinking that we have to follow. Some might think it is crazy that we cannot post pictures of ourselves in a bar, but this helps us. Because we were not able to post that picture, our future employers will not be able to see it, and we will not be stereotyped as a person that parties too much.

Because of my sorority, I am able to thrive in more diverse environments. Because of my sorority, I am more prepared for the world after college. Because of my sorority, I have made lifelong friends and connections that will help me advance in life. Because of my sorority, I have become a better person.

photo source: https://stocksnap.io/photo/ECCZCADFUU

I am a senior at UTM, I am majoring in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Law Enforcement. I am in Alpha Delta Pi, I am the President of the Criminal Justice Society at UTM. I love anything that has to do with cats and cacti.I am a proud cat mom, my cat's name is Kiwi. And I am a lifeguard at Magic Waters Waterpark in Rockford IL.