This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

I just got my third tattoo, and I couldn’t be more excited about it. It’s a very small flower on my ankle. My mom got the same one to represent our relationship, but the particular flower was also my grandmother’s favorite flower.

If you’re thinking about getting a tattoo, there are a few things you need to think about. Not that I’m an expert, but I know a thing or two about this consideration as I spent years in the “thinking about a tattoo” phase.

Design – This seems really obvious, but it’s honest. If you want a tattoo, you have to start getting pretty specific. Even if you know a vague idea of what you want, you need to start thinking exactly what it will look like on your skin. Do you want color? How big is it going to be? Will the artist have artistic freedom, or do you want something really particular? These are all questions you need to at least think about before you walk in to make an appointment.

Placement – Placement is so huge for me. With my career goal, I’m not sure how welcomed tattoos will be in my workplace. Sadly, that means I can’t get tattoos absolutely everywhere I want them. When considering your tattoo’s placement, think about your future career. Think about what you are now. You don’t want to regret your tattoo just because of where it is. If you think your future career won’t welcome your tattoo ideas, hold off on them, or put them somewhere you can easily conceal them. I have a hold-up where I want my tattoo to be easily concealable, but I don’t want it to be completely hidden. I also want to be able to see it myself, so any tattoos on my back are out of the question for me.

Price – This is the one no one wants to think about. Sadly, it has to be on the list. In fact, it should probably be one of the first things you think about. Tattoos are expensive. You’re paying for an art and for a product, so the artist knows to value the process. You can find more affordable tattoo artists, and the work isn’t going to be bad necessarily. They could be starting out, but do your homework on whatever artist you pick. Most shops have a minimum cost because of the price of cleaning, the time, the needle and basic materials. Don’t go broke over a tattoo. Save for it, and when you’ve got it, treat yourself.

There’s so many more things to consider when getting a tattoo, but those are the big three for me. There’s nothing more exciting than getting a new tattoo, but make sure you don’t rush into anything permanent.

I am a sophomore broadcast communications major and theatre minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. When I’m not in class or participating in events on campus, I spend my time reading, doing yoga, working out, or petting my cats.
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.