Campus Involvement is Worth the Commitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

When I was a senior in high school and applying to colleges, something that always stood out to me was the emphasis put on campus organizations. Most of the college pamphlets I received listed all the various ways to get involved, whether that was through a club, intramural sports or Greek life. I was even required as a freshman to attend the Student Organization Fair, where there was a seemingly endless number of groups to join. However, once I attended meetings, it was discouraging to see that there were fewer people involved in each organization than I expected.

Compared to the high school I came from, student involvement in college was majorly lacking. I was used to there being 40 or more members in one club and huge annual events that were attended by a majority of students. I was not prepared for the student organizations in college to have less than 10 members attend each meeting. I wanted students to know that being part of any of the groups offered on campus could open so many doors and lead to opportunities they wouldn’t find anywhere else.

There are many benefits that come from joining a student organization. One of the most obvious is that it’s a great way to meet new people. When you join any organization, you’re instantly surrounded by peers that you have at least one thing in common with. This can help to start conversations with new people, which can help you make friends that you wouldn’t have met otherwise.

Aside from meeting other students, campus involvement also helps you make connections with faculty and professionals in the field. Several organizations I have been involved with have had guest speakers or campus events that allow you to build your portfolio with important contacts that can lead to job opportunities or internships in the future.

Student involvement looks great on a resume or job application. Many of the “grown-up” jobs I’ve applied for specifically ask on their applications for examples of organization membership and student involvement. This looks especially good if you join a professional organization, such as an honors society or student government. Attending conferences and training programs makes a huge impact on your resume, and these are events are sponsored by student organizations more often than you may think.

So, my word of advice to you is simply to get involved. There’s no harm in going to one meeting. Worst case scenario: you don’t enjoy it and don’t go back again, but at least you tried. You never know if you might find new friends, gain leadership experience or make professional contacts that will help you in the future.

If you’re interested, a list of current UTM student organizations can be found at https://www.utm.edu/departments/studentorgs/index.php

I am a junior Criminal Justice, Forensic Science major and Sociology minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. I'm from Nashville, but I love going to school in Martin and I am so happy to call this small town my home away from home! Find me on Instagram @chloewagner130
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.