This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Black Friday is overrated. There I said it, and I’m not taking it back. I can honestly say I’m over Black Friday, and you should be too. I have worked on Black Friday. I have shopped on Black Friday. I have slept in my bed until noon and watched movies with my family on Black Friday, and let me tell you that’s the right way to spend your day off of work or school.

I’m not trying to insult anyone looking for a good deal or who enjoys shopping amongst an exorbitant amount of overtired people. I’m just saying the deals aren’t THAT great, and isn’t Thanksgiving about family? When did it become about seeing how cheap we can buy a TV for? Call me old fashioned but I think cooking, eating and spending time with our families are a better use of our time than standing in line for hours in the wee hours of Friday morning…. And on Thursday in some states.

I have worked Black Friday in retail before. I can honestly say the sales aren’t the best you’ll ever see. If you keep your eye on your email you can find better sales and coupons throughout the holiday season. Being a smart shopper will save you more money, and sleep, than spending hours in the mall on Black Friday.

If you’re home for the holiday don’t waste the little time you get with your loved ones in a crowded store. Wait for other sales or shop online. Other people don’t get to choose if they can get to be with the ones they love for Thanksgiving, so remember them when you decide to go shopping or not. And if you do chose to go out, remember retail workers were pulled out of their beds an away from their families hours before you were. Be kind and patient with them.

I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.