sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Everyone has those weeks where you’ve got three tests and four essays, right? The weeks where everything just piles up. I know those weeks are overwhelming, but unwinding is a necessary part of that. Multitasking might sound effective, but your brain can really only focus on one thing at a time. In order to do that, you have to clear your mind. 

Here are my favorite ways to unwind when I’m stressed to the max:

Read a chapter of a book. I always have a book I’m working on, however slow it might be. It may sit on my shelf for a few weeks before I can come back to it, but I always have to know I have a book around. I love to just sit and let myself be overtaken by some fantasy story before I have to return to conjugating French verbs into the past tense. 

Take a bath. I prefer bubble baths over all other baths, but just regular warm water can release tension in your body. This helps to clear the mind. I love to put on music and jam out while I take a bath. I go to Lush way too often, so I’ve always got a stock of bath bombs and I’m just waiting for the right time to use them. 

Get active. Even if it’s just a quick walk around your dorm or block, getting active is so important for a healthy mind. Doing a ten-minute yoga flow during a study break is a great way to get your blood flowing and your body relaxed. 

Go shopping. If you can’t, go online shopping! If you don’t have extra money to spend, just window shop! It doesn’t matter what you’re looking for. I shop for clothes sometimes, but other times I look at possible Christmas gifts for loved ones. It always puts me in a better mood. 

When I’m wound up, the first thing I try to do is evaluate if I need to take my mind off of my stress or address it head-on. Sometimes when you’re worried about a test that you feel prepared for, you just need to lie back and relax. If you need to study, do that. Take some breaks where you go for a jog or browse your favorite store’s website. 

If you spend a few days stressed out, you may need a few days to unwind. If it’s been a stressful week, spend the weekend with your friends. Get a lot of sleep. Your body will need to get over the stress of life. Don’t let stress take over this semester. 

With some peaceful practices like these, your studying will go over so much better. You’ve got this!

I am a sophomore broadcast communications major and theatre minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. When I’m not in class or participating in events on campus, I spend my time reading, doing yoga, working out, or petting my cats.
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.