This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

When I was 11 years old, my first nephew, Kody, was born. Amidst all of the chaos and nonsense in my family, this little light came into my world and gave me the title of being an aunt. I remember seeing him for the very first time in the hospital. I walked into the room and he was sticking his tongue out and had the darkest hair I have ever seen on a baby, which is so funny because now he has the brightest blonde hair I have ever seen.

I had to do some growing up really quick at a young age because of this situation, but that is fine by me now because I got one of my favorite boys in the world out of it. From countless games of Monopoly to watching all kinds of movies but changing it to a different one before it even ends, Kody and I have had so much fun.

Now Kody is 8 years old and in the 3rd grade. That doesn’t even seem right! I have been in college for three years now and Kody is still my favorite person to come home to and my hardest person to say goodbye to. He is my favorite person to hear on the phone or see over Facetime. He is the one person that, when anything less than perfect or deserving happens in his life, it immediately upsets me, and I would do anything to make it better. He is the one person I am just so unbelievably proud of for everything he has accomplished and overcome thus far.

Four years after Kody was born, I gained another little light in my life. Kolton is four years old now, an absolute mess, and by far the most dramatic little guy you will ever meet in your entire life, but he can be the sweetest little thing too when he wants to be. My favorite thing about Kolton right now is that if you call him a genius jokingly, he will respond with, “I’m not a genius!” and I say back, “We know, honey.” It is the funniest thing! We even got him ‘genius’ pajamas for Christmas. Something recent that I really love about Kolton is his relationship with my fiancé. Kolton is all the time asking about where he is and when he is coming over so that they can play.

On January 23rd, 2020 I gained my most recent littlest light in my world which officially made me “Aunt Ambo times 3”. Avalyn was born just this past week. She is my first niece and she is just as cute as she can be! I am so excited to watch her grow with the two best big brothers and to see if her extremely dark hair turns bright blonde like the boys’ hair has.

Being an aunt is my favorite title, the best thing, and by far one of my greatest blessings in life.

I am an Agriculture Communications Major with a Minor in English at the University of Tennessee at Martin (Class of 2021).
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.