This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Oftentimes, people see college as a time to reinvent themselves and become a new person. They no longer face the same restraints they did in high school. They have this newfound freedom and idea of independence. For some people, this reinvention is a great thing that has a positive impact on their life and college experience. For others, they become so focused on becoming this new person that they miss out on all the opportunities and experiences college has to offer.

Take notice of the small things you like about campus. Get involved.  There are so many opportunities to get involved and meet new people without ever leaving your college campus. Take advantage of these things. Join a club, go to events, and make the most out of your college experience. Get out of your dorm or apartment and meet new people. These are the few years in your life where you don’t necessarily have a “big girl” job and school only lasts a few hours a day. Use your free time to get out, have fun, and make memories. I promise you’ll be glad you did. Colleges are full of diverse students and environments. Take the time to learn about another person’s culture. Try new things. Whatever you do, don’t lock yourself in your dorm room and never venture out. You’ll regret it in the end. 

Just be careful not to neglect your studies. College is hard and very demanding. It takes a little extra study time to really understand the concepts. It’s more than just memorization that can be done in 20 minutes before the test. Your grades will truly reflect the amount of effort you put into the subject. Just because the person you sit next to in class says they didn’t study, and they still got an A doesn’t mean the same thing will happen for you. Each person’s mind, study skills, and retention is different. Ultimately, you’re the only person responsible for your grades and what you learn. 

Get to know your roommate. It enhances your college life if you become friends with your roommate. You won’t have as many arguments, and you know you’ll always have a friend to vent to at the end of the day. Getting to know the person you’re living with just makes living together easier in general. It allows you to have peace of mind in the place you’re spending most of your time. As a bonus, roommates are especially great to have at the beginning of this new chapter when you don’t know anyone else. You can work out together, eat lunch together, and have a late night Sonic run together. Having a friend to go through this transition with definitely makes a difference in your college experience. 

Romans 5:8  I attend the University of Tennessee at Martin as a Psychology major. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my friends, reading books, and taking naps. 
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.