Career

6 Things Pre-Vet Students Are Tired of Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

If you or a loved one intends on becoming a veterinarian one day, plan on hearing a lot of the same things regarding grades, costs and income. The first few times around you’ll appreciate the advice, but after the tenth time you’ll feel the same way the rest of us do. With that being said, here are six things pre-vet students are sick of being told.

“You know, you’re going to have to get really good grades.”

Yes Uncle Scott, I’m aware that I will need a near perfect GPA in order to get into vet school. Please tell that to my 4.2 high school GPA, 30 ACT score, honors scholarship, 3.8 college GPA, lack of social life, and constant stress.

“Do you know how much school that is?”

4 years of undergrad, 4 years of vet school, 1 year of internship, 3 years of residency (If I want to specialize). Yeah… I know.

“But why don’t you want to be a REAL doctor?”

I will be a real doctor, but I don’t want to be an MD because, I don’t want to be an MD. Stop asking.

“Vet school is expensive.”

Yes I know that too, please don’t remind me.

“You’re gonna have to kill animals.”

Euthanise*. I’m going to have to euthanize* animals and, no I am not looking forward to it.

“You’re going to make so much money.”

Actually, veterinary professionals don’t make nearly as much as people think they do, or as much as they deserve. We are not in it for the money. We are in it because we love what we do ad we love animals. If I just wanted to make money I would go into real estate.

I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.