This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Even though it’s only April, 2018 has been filled with an amazing selection of new releases spanning every genre. While it’s hard to settle on just five, here are a few of what I believe to be the best albums to come out of 2018 so far.

1. Isolation – Kali Uchis

If you’ve been keeping an eye on the newest album releases of the spring, you probably know who Kali Uchis is. If not, you should listen to her debut album ASAP. Kali combines elements from genres like pop, R&B, funk, and indie to create her own super sultry sound. If you’re a fan of risk-taking, individualistic artists, you’ll love Kali Uchis. She even toured North America earlier this year with Lana Del Rey if that doesn’t say enough about her!

2. Invasion of Privacy – Cardi B

For everyone who couldn’t take “Bodak Yellow” and “Bartier Cardi” off of repeat since they came out, this album was no disappointment. Cardi B keeps the same energy we came to know and love from her singles, and her “no F’s given” attitude clearly shows in the lyrics. For any girl, or even guy, who wants music that will make them feel confident enough to tackle anything, this album is for you.

3. KOD – J. Cole

Now, I realize this album has only been out for about 24 hours, but that doesn’t change how good it is. J. Cole is thought of by many as one of the greatest rappers of our generation, and this album doesn’t let his audience forget it. While there are plenty of exciting tracks that are perfect for parties, there are still a few emotional ones that dig into the deeper issues J. Cole is known for addressing.

4. Golden Hour – Kacey Musgraves

As someone who usually hates anything to do with country music, I have to admit I love this album. Kacey take a more positive approach to life and love than in her previous albums, and it is a welcome change. It’s clear that there is a lot of thought and emotional put behind each song on this album, which is something most of today’s music is lacking. If you don’t believe me, just listen to “Mother,” and try to keep yourself from shedding a tear or two.

5. Blue Madonna – BØRNS

Last but not least, BØRN’s sophomore album Blue Madonna is perfect for anyone who’s a fan of a more alternative sound than the previous albums on this list. Even though it was released in January, it’s full of chill, soft-rock tacks that are perfect for laying in the sun this summer. If you liked the upbeat, edginess of his first album, Dopamine, you’ll love the laid-back melodies of Blue Madonna.

I am a junior Criminal Justice, Forensic Science major and Sociology minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. I'm from Nashville, but I love going to school in Martin and I am so happy to call this small town my home away from home! Find me on Instagram @chloewagner130