This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Since moving to Martin for college, I have learned a lot about small towns and interacting with the community. One of the best ways to do that is by attending our annual Tennessee Soybean Festival. I have had the privilege to attend for the past two years, and it is such an enjoyable experience.

You might be wondering what a soybean is. According to Britannica, a soybean is economically one of the most important beans in the world. It is part of the legume family and is high in protein. These beans are used in many different things. They can be used to make wax, to print papers, and in food (Encyclopedia Britannica, 2018). However, to Martin, TN, it is the reason behind a week-long celebration of fun, shopping, good eating and community. This year, Martin hosted its 25th annual Soybean Festival. Each day was filled full of events and neat opportunities.

The festival is set up like a fair with rides, games and lots of entertainment. Oh, and of course, food! You can find just about anything being deep fried, such as oreos, snickers and funnel cakes. They have nachos, barbecue, whole turkey legs, cotton candy, snow cones and fresh squeezed lemonade. Nothing beats the greasy and sweet flavors of fair food. The street is lined with vendors selling various products.You can find anything ranging from t-shirts, candles, hand painted signs, monogrammed yetis, jewelry and much more. Right in the center of the festival is an enclosed stadium for concert performances at night. This year’s festival featured concerts by Switchfoot, 38 Special, Foreigner, Gretchen Wilson and Big & Rich. Other forms of entertainment included a live shark encounter, a stunt show, a U.S. Air Force Exhibit, a magic show and a U.S. Army Interactive Robotics Exhibit. On Labor Day, there was also a whole day dedicated to magic. Superheroes and princesses were all over the park where children came to meet them and enjoy the inflatables and other rides, including a very popular zipline.

The students at UTM and the community of Martin look forward to the fun festivities the Soybean Festival has to offer each year. Almost all of the events are free, with the exception of concerts, which are reasonably priced. If you’re ever in West Tennessee in September, you should definitely check out this fun tradition. Head on over to the Tennessee Soybean Festival’s official page to learn more about soybeans and the Soybean Festival at http://www.tnsoybeanfestival.org/fun-facts/

Romans 5:8  I attend the University of Tennessee at Martin as a Psychology major. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my friends, reading books, and taking naps. 
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.