17 Times the New Fall Out Boy Album MANIA Was Spot On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

Finally, after almost three years to the day, Fall Out Boy released their newest album MANIA last Friday, January 19th. If you know me, you know that I love Fall Out Boy. Fall Out Boy has gotten me through some pretty tough times in my life. Coincidentally enough, after their hiatus a few years ago, Save Rock and Roll came out in 2013 when I was going through a bad break up. As did American Beauty/American Psycho two years later in 2015. Both albums mean a lot to me, and while some may argue that From Under the Cork Tree and Infinity on High are superior albums, all of their albums have a special place in my heart. I adore them all, and I view their changing sound over the years as development rather than detrimental.

When the first single “Young and Menace” was released from MANIA back in April 2017, I was most definitely skeptical. What in the world was Fall Out Boy going for? This wasn’t the “new” Fall Out Boy I was used to from Save Rock and Roll or American Beauty/American Psycho. Believe me, it took several listens for the song to grow on me, but once it did, I was in love once more with Fall Out Boy, and I definitely dug the defiant and rebellious feelings the lyrics dug out of me. Call it my perpetual emo phase or teenage rebellion if you want…even if I’m 21, I’ll never outgrow it.

The songs on MANIA are all unique, and each song has notable lyrics that provoke feelings of empowerment and determination…and maybe some that are really just quality. Here’s my list of the songs in order from the album with lyrics I’ve pulled out that struck me the first time listening through.

“Young and Menace”

Like I said, the first listen, I was not sure how I felt about this song…but this song makes me feel like I could literally go to hell and back and destroy everything in my path. I love it so much.

“And I’ve lived so much life, lived so much life,

I think that God is gonna have to kill me twice.

Kill me twice like my name was Nikki Sixx.”

Now, if you don’t know who Nikki Sixx is, maybe this doesn’t make sense to you. Nikki Sixx was the bassist and main songwriter for the band Mötley Crüe, and in 2008 in his autobiography, he confessed to a heroin overdose. The man was literally pronounced legally dead twice, and he’s still kicking.

What I get from this is, take no shit and live your best life always. Maybe you won’t literally have to be killed twice, but still get the most out of every day…always.

“Champion”

Talk about the ultimate empowerment song. Just reading the title, you can guess that this is just a song about kicking ass and taking names.

“And I’m back with the madness, I’m a champion

of the people who don’t believe in champions.

I got nothing but dreams inside,

I got nothing but dreams.”

Maybe you feel like you’re not going to come out on top, but as long as you have hope, you have reason to keep going. You’ve got your dreams, so hold on to them and keep moving forward toward them.

“I’m just young enough to still believe, still believe,

but young enough not to know what to believe in.”

As someone in my early twenties, I’m learning new stuff every day. It’s all about trial and error and making the most of everyday but always learning from your mistakes.

“If I can live through this,

I can do anything.”

This lyric is self-explanatory. As someone with anxiety and constantly loaded down with stress, this lyric echoes through my head a lot. It’s my personal encouragement. Even if it feels like the end of the world, I know that I can still do it. It’s not going to kill me. I feel as though this could be applied to anything difficult within someone’s life. You’ve got this.

“Stay Frosty Royal Milk Tea”

I literally saw the name of this song and thought, “Yo, what the hell? What’s this supposed to be about,” and now it’s probably my most listened to song on the album.

“I think I’ve got too many memories getting in the way of me,

I’m about to go Tonya Harding on the whole world’s knee.”

Our generation probably wasn’t too aware of this situation until I, Tonya starring Margot Robbie came out this past year. After all, this took place either right before we were born or when we were extremely little. Tonya Harding literally took out her rival Nancy Kerrigan and was banned for life from the U.S. Figure Skating Association. While it’s not a very proud moment, this lyric totally struck me as badass and pretty clever. Go into the world every day with your game face on, and take no shit.

“The only thing that’s ever stopping me is me, hey!”

How true is that? So often we get in our own heads and talk ourselves out of opportunities that we should most definitely take. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy.

“HOLD ME TIGHT OR DON’T”

I feel that the meaning of this song is important for our generation. Too often we put too much time into someone that doesn’t really want to be there for us. They just want what you’ll give and never give back. They’ll take and take and take until you’re empty.

“I love you to death,

But I just can’t, I just can’t pretend.

We weren’t lovers first.

Confidants but never friends.

Were we ever friends?”

“Wilson (Expensive Mistakes)”

When I first heard this song, I burst out laughing. My best friend’s name is Wilson, and the lyrics literally almost fit him to a tee. There’s so many lyrics in this song that are so appropriate…or inappropriate depending on the context. Tired of everyone giving you the runaround? Here’s the song for you.

“If I could get my shit together,

I would run away and never see any of you again.”

Self-explanatory…especially when you’re absolutely tired of everyone.

“And when I say I’m sorry I’m late, I wasn’t showing up at all.

I really mean I didn’t plan on showing up at all.”

As an introvert, this made me laugh. So often I’ll make plans that when the day comes I really don’t want to go through with it…

“I’ll stop wearing black when they make a darker color.”

Black is the main color in my wardrobe, as I’m sure it is plenty of girls’, and I’ll never stop wearing it because…what’s darker than black? I’ll never outgrow my emo phase, I guess.

“Church”

The entire song itself is supposed to be a love song featuring strong religious imagery; however, the lyric that struck me the most didn’t really pertain to that theme.

“I love the world, but I just don’t love the way it makes me feel.

Got a few more fake friends, and it’s hard to know what’s real.”

Lately, the world has been kind of awful, and sometimes it’s hard to figure out people’s actual intentions. How true is this lyric? It resonates with me, and I’m sure I’m not the only one it resonates with.

“Heaven’s Gate”

The commentary over this song about the meaning by the band is that it’s supposed to be a dialogue between a couple, and it definitely sounds different than their normal stuff. Regardless, I really liked it.

“Go out in the world to start over again and again

as many times as you can.”

No matter how many times you mess up, you can always start over.

“Sunshine Riptide”

I put the album on shuffle when it first came out, and this is the first song I listened to after it was released. It’s definitely different, and with the feature by Burna Boy, it gave the song a unique twist and sound.

“I don’t even have my own attention.

You say, ‘Please don’t ever change,’

but you don’t like me the way I am.”

Ever had a significant other that says they love you for who you are…and that same significant other try to change stuff about you? Yeah. That’s this feeling put into words. Don’t fall for it.

“The world tried to burn all the mercy out of me,

but you know I wouldn’t let it.

It tried to teach me the hard way.

I can’t forget it.”

The world is truly a cruel place. Don’t let it make you hard. Love others and be kind. Have sympathy, even if you can’t be empathetic. I’ve been through a lot in my 21 years, and I’ve learned so much, but regardless of all of that, I remain caring and loving for other people. Don’t let the world ever take your heart.

“‘Cause I’m stuck in the sunshine riptide,

dancing all alone in the morning light.

The sunshine riptide,

you came in like a wave when I was feeling alright.”

Sometimes you’ll have people come into your life when you’re up…and they’ll leave you when you’re down. Be smart and don’t let people take advantage of you and hurt you.

“Bishop’s Knife Trick”

This is another song from the album whose title took me back. Bishop? Knife trick? How does that fit together? Typical Fall Out Boy…always coming up with the oddest song titles. (Don’t fight me on this. You can’t tell me “I’m Like a Lawyer With the Way I’m Always Trying to Get Off (Me & You)” is a normal song title.)

“I’m pedal to the metal,

Make no mistake.”

I never stop. Like ever. I’m always busy, and I never stop moving until I go to bed at night. Just ask my boyfriend.

“I got a feeling inside that I can’t domesticate.

It doesn’t want to live in a cage.

A feeling that I can’t housebreak.”

I also have severe wanderlust, and I know that many people my age do. I love to travel and see new things, and I always have a longing to just…go. Go somewhere. Do something. It’s never satiated.

Anyway, these are just my favorite lyrics from the album. Even if you’ve never listened to Fall Out Boy before, I hope you’ll branch out and listen to this new album and find your own favorite lyrics or themes and meanings that resonate with you. Music is one of the best ways to convey your feelings, and I hope you’ll embrace it.

Photo source: billboard.

I am UTM's Co-Correspondent and Events Director for Her Campus! I am a Psychology major with a minor in French and German, and I have intentions of going to graduate school and pursuing my doctoral degree in Clinical Psychology and specializing in working with children with mental illnesses and disorders. I am a cat mom, a coffee-drinker, a traveler, and a yoga instructor. I am a devout believer of people and animal rights, and I love to spread love.