This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

As much as I’m looking forward to my upcoming 21st birthday (and the drinks that’ll come with it), I can’t help but feel a little bittersweet about turning another year older. I’ve officially been in my twenties for a year, and while it’s been a lot of fun, it’s also been challenging. I feel like I’m growing up way too fast, but at the same time, I feel like I’m barely an adult. In the words of living legend Britney Spears, “I’m not a girl, not yet a woman.” Over this fun and confusing year, here are 10 important things I learned:

1. Having lots of friends that are 21 is a blessing and a curse.

A blessing because they can buy me alcohol, and a curse because I can’t get into any of the downtown Nashville bars with them.

2. It’s okay to treat myself.

There’s nothing wrong with indulging in my favorite food or a new pair of shoes every once in a while, as long as I don’t overdo it and have no money left for rent.

3. Being in my 20s does not mean I’m a full-on adult all of the time.

Even though I’m in my 20s, it doesn’t stop me from asking my mom if she can help me file my taxes or make a doctor appointment for me.

4. Stop waiting for people to reach out to me.

Instead of waiting for a friend to invite me somewhere or ask to hang out, what’s stopping me from asking them first? It shows that I care about my friends, and spending time with them is important to me.

5. Lazy days are okay.

I used to feel guilty whenever I had a lazy day because I would be so focused on all the work I could be doing instead. I realized that having days off is important for mental health, and nobody can be 100% all the time!

6. Building connections is so important.

They say part of getting a job is what you know, but most of it is who you know. With graduation getting closer and closer, it’s important for me to make as many connections as possible, especially with professors and other professionals in my field.

7. Mental health is just as important as physical health.

It’s easy to put my mental health on the backburner, but its not beneficial towards my well being. Mental health is the foundation of any person’s life, and issues should not be ignored when they arise.

8. There’s no deadline on life-changing events.

Some of my friends who are also 20 are getting married, buying houses and having babies, while I’m spending most of my free time watching Netflix. That’s okay! Everyone has their own timeline of life events, and just because it may not line up with those around you doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

9. It’s okay to change my plans about the future.

Nothing has to be set in stone. The point of college is to try new things and figure out what I want to do with my life, so it doesn’t matter if I change my plans about what I want to do.

10. Make the most out of every year.

Like I said before, 20 is a year full of confusion and fun. As easy as it might be to find things to complain about regarding the past year of my life, I should focus on all of the good that happened. Make the most out of every age you are, and try not to take anything for granted. Ten years from now, I’ll be remembering about what a great time I had when I was 20, and wishing i could go back.

I am a junior Criminal Justice, Forensic Science major and Sociology minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. I'm from Nashville, but I love going to school in Martin and I am so happy to call this small town my home away from home! Find me on Instagram @chloewagner130
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.