This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

I have had an amazing winter break when I visited one of my best friends in her hometown of Arizona. We had fun catching up and she introduced me to her all time favorite show: Criminal Minds. Needless to say, I was hooked to Netflix every day ever since then. One time, she and I finished a whole season within a day! So in honor of my new favorite TV show, here is 7 reasons why I love Criminal Minds:

1. Uhhh… Dr. Spencer Reid, duh?: I mean the dude is a rare gem, a genius! He joined the BAU when he was 21, 22 years old and is the smartest of them all. His mind is extraordinary as he can piece information together to solve the puzzle that a normal human cannot. For a sapiosexual (a person who’s attracted to intelligent people) like me, he is my favorite character in Criminal Minds.

1. Criminology: I have been interested in the study of criminal’s behavior for a while now, ever since I watched the Silence of the Lamb. How do their brains work? How do their trails of thoughts led them to commit crimes that, to them, are perfectly rational? What is so different about the way they evolve?… I understand that sometimes TV shows can be different from reality, but watching Criminal Minds, and following the BAU solving crimes is still very fascinating to me.

1. Every episode is unique and captivating: No episode is the same and there are 11 seasons with more than 250 episodes to choose from. Every episode has its own crime and plot, and we get to explore the psychology of criminals and how the team solves the puzzle. Since every episode is different, if you start watching one random episode you would not feel lost and can follow up with the crime, just not the complete dynamics between the team.

1. The team is practically a family: Everyone knows that a good crime can draw anyone in, but it takes great storylines for viewers to stick around. What I like the best in the show is the family atmosphere within the BAU Team. They look out for one another and are protective of their family.

Still the best combination in my opinion

1. Those last episodes of each season: For each season that has multiple episodes that deals with different crimes, there is always a connected storyline behind the season. For example, SPOILER ALERT, the storyline of Emily Prentiss in Season 6. It is revealed that she had a connection with a dangerous criminal from her past and the whole team put everything on the line to save their friend. Those last episodes of each season push everything to its climax, like a final blow before closing up a chapter.

1. Garcia’s sassiness: Penelope Garcia is a special technical analyst who prefers to sit behind her computer desk and work on data and information rather than examining the crime scene herself. I enjoy the moments when the team members call her for help and she always returns with 100% sassiness, confidence, and a know-it all attitude, especially with Derek Morgan. For example, [SPOILER ALERT] one time the team’s section chief Strauss called instead of her friends and she accidentally replied, “Talk dirty to me!”.

1. Meaningful lessons: I learn something from the show every time I watch it. Every episode has a theme, so to speak, and the theme is pointed out by the quotes in the beginning and end. Sometimes I understand; sometimes I do not. when I do, it seems like I know more about the human psyche.

It has only been a month since I started watching Criminal Minds but I have already finished 8/14 seasons (amid school and work). The show is so captivating and I recommend if anyone is into crime solving but with less blood and scary scenes, definitely go for Criminal Minds.

I’m a sophomore at Utica College. My major is Health Studies-PT Track, minor in Gerontology. I enjoy cool breeze, beaches, and good books. I have a long list of things I like and a longer list of things I don't like.
Meet Bianca, I am currently a Junior at Utica College in Utica, NY.  I am a Criminal Justice major with a concentration in Homeland Security.  Crime investigation has always been something that interests me.  I’m dedicated and passionate and it’s hard for me to quit things. I get that from my father so don’t hold it against me- he was a veteran and police officer for 20 years.   Growing up in a family centered around law enforcement has helped guide me in this direction, and I will forever be grateful.  After graduation I intend to continue on to law school where I can further my education in hopes of becoming a criminal defense lawyer and later on a District Attorney.  An interesting fact about myself is that I found the passion to be a criminal defense lawyer from watching the O.J. Simpson case.  The facts and conspiracy theories evoked a whole new passion behind criminal investigation that I intend to use in my future.  One of my most prominent moments in my writing career was when I wrote for an online magazine and had my most prevalent article hit 1.6k shares.  I believe in treating people with the same kind of respect and manners you would expect in return, and in a way it has helped shaped my expectations in life.   When you first meet me I won’t be the loudest in the room or the center of attention, but I will be intently listening to everything you say, for what you have to say may have a purpose. I believe in purpose. I believe that everyone is here to help you grow into who you are today and who you will be tomorrow.