This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

I thought I was going to love my major in college and stick with it all four years. I was wrong, which I wasn’t okay with at first because I didn’t know what I was going to want to study. An important lesson that came out of my struggle with picking a new major is that wanted to be in love with whatever I chose to study.

When applying to colleges, I thought I wanted to be a nursing major. I was under the impression that I wanted to be a pediatric nurse and work with children eventually. But then I took one of the required classes, Anatomy and Physiology. I came to the harsh reality of how difficult this road would be. These classes were a lot harder than I anticipated and I couldn’t understand any of the information I was supposed to be learning. After the first couple weeks of taking that class my freshman year, I knew nursing was not the track for me.

It wasn’t just how hard the classes were, I didn’t get excited talking about my major. It didn’t make me look forward to my future career. I couldn’t even picture myself wearing scrubs and walking around a hospital.  So there I was, feeling trapped in a major I didn’t belong in but luckily there was a class that always had my attention and that was the Communications class I was taking. After arranging a meeting with the professor who taught the class, I learned much more about what being a Communications major would be like. I would get to take classes such as public speaking, have a concentration in journalism or public relations if I wanted or I would even be able to take a class in the radio station. The more my professor told me about the major, the more excited I got and decided that I was ready to make the switch.

I handed in the paperwork one fall afternoon and became a Communications Media major with a concentration in Journalism. Now, I am the very first Communications Media major at Utica College. This is a major that I fell in love with, it’s so interactive and I get excited when talking about it. I was able to find a major that I was comfortable in and was a good fit for.  As a sophomore, I’m taking three communications classes and one of those classes involves me being on air at the radio station. I could picture myself with headphones on, speaking into a microphone asking my guest host interview questions. This class made me realize that I have big dreams with this major and eventually want to work at a radio station. I wouldn’t even consider it a job, because it’s something that I’m going to love to do.

Meet Bianca, I am currently a Junior at Utica College in Utica, NY.  I am a Criminal Justice major with a concentration in Homeland Security.  Crime investigation has always been something that interests me.  I’m dedicated and passionate and it’s hard for me to quit things. I get that from my father so don’t hold it against me- he was a veteran and police officer for 20 years.   Growing up in a family centered around law enforcement has helped guide me in this direction, and I will forever be grateful.  After graduation I intend to continue on to law school where I can further my education in hopes of becoming a criminal defense lawyer and later on a District Attorney.  An interesting fact about myself is that I found the passion to be a criminal defense lawyer from watching the O.J. Simpson case.  The facts and conspiracy theories evoked a whole new passion behind criminal investigation that I intend to use in my future.  One of my most prominent moments in my writing career was when I wrote for an online magazine and had my most prevalent article hit 1.6k shares.  I believe in treating people with the same kind of respect and manners you would expect in return, and in a way it has helped shaped my expectations in life.   When you first meet me I won’t be the loudest in the room or the center of attention, but I will be intently listening to everything you say, for what you have to say may have a purpose. I believe in purpose. I believe that everyone is here to help you grow into who you are today and who you will be tomorrow.