This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

We as people express ourselves everyday with every choice we make. From our outfits, to our hairstyles, to how we interact with people on a daily basis. Sometimes we have off days and just want to crawl back into bed. Since middle school I’ve always been so critical of my hair. I’ve learned to come to love my hair how it is and appreciate everyone’s hair even when I wished mine was different. I tend to find that all of my friends who have beautifully curly hair wish it was easier to straighten, and me on the other hand admire their curls and wish I had the option of both. I can blow-dry my hair and it will be pin straight, if I air dry it, it has some frizz and a slight wave here and there. When I was in 10th grade I decided to dye my hair an Ombre blonde, then I moved to an Ombre with purple. I vividly remember when I made the choice to dye basically my whole head this beautiful magenta/purple color. I took this into my own hands and got permanent dye and professional bleach… not the best idea. The process could have been done better because I had bleached it and then went to a hair salon for more bleach, but professionally done this time. When I came home from that appointment my hair was so bad the ends were falling out. Granted I had my purple hair that I was dying for, but I did it the wrong way. I was too stubborn to just cut a few inches because that would have fixed my issue, but I think many can relate that when you grow your hair out you get attached to then length. Once I nursed my hair back to health it was my favorite thing ever. Many people weren’t fond of it, it ended up growing on my parents eventually, and I heard a lot of people telling me it would be hard to match anything with purple hair.

I’m glad I followed my heart and made the choice I did. It made me feel confident and beautiful. Just because it’s not a normal thing to see doesn’t mean its bad. I find that it’s the small things in life that bring the most joy and happiness to my face at least. Always do what makes you happy and make the choices you want to in life even if it’s something as silly as hair. When I’m in a bad place I always find myself thinking of small things I can do to uplift myself. Most of the times its confidence boosters like a manicure or pedicure or thinking of my next hair adventure.

Hey everyone, my name is Cristina. I'm a Senior here at Utica College!
Meet Bianca, I am currently a Junior at Utica College in Utica, NY.  I am a Criminal Justice major with a concentration in Homeland Security.  Crime investigation has always been something that interests me.  I’m dedicated and passionate and it’s hard for me to quit things. I get that from my father so don’t hold it against me- he was a veteran and police officer for 20 years.   Growing up in a family centered around law enforcement has helped guide me in this direction, and I will forever be grateful.  After graduation I intend to continue on to law school where I can further my education in hopes of becoming a criminal defense lawyer and later on a District Attorney.  An interesting fact about myself is that I found the passion to be a criminal defense lawyer from watching the O.J. Simpson case.  The facts and conspiracy theories evoked a whole new passion behind criminal investigation that I intend to use in my future.  One of my most prominent moments in my writing career was when I wrote for an online magazine and had my most prevalent article hit 1.6k shares.  I believe in treating people with the same kind of respect and manners you would expect in return, and in a way it has helped shaped my expectations in life.   When you first meet me I won’t be the loudest in the room or the center of attention, but I will be intently listening to everything you say, for what you have to say may have a purpose. I believe in purpose. I believe that everyone is here to help you grow into who you are today and who you will be tomorrow.