This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

Like many students here at Utica, I suspected that most of our classes would be online this year. Although this was not how I ever imagined spending my junior year of college I always try to look on the bright side of things. Many students are struggling with this new adjustment to online learning. Whether it be watching online lectures, taking notes, or even studying for exams, life as a college student has changed drastically in these last few months. On top of that students have lost a lot of what makes college special for them, from sports to events on campus. Like many students, this has made the “college experience” more difficult both socially and academically. However, I think despite the situations we are all in right now, we can overcome the challenges we face. 

As the school year starts to pick up academically, there are things we can do to make virtual learning easier. Personally, here are a few things that have worked for me and my friends since starting the semester.

Keep a normal class schedule

Since most of our classes are asynchronous (no scheduled meeting online) we tend to sleep through the usual 8 a.m. class and do the work later. However, this may lead you to become less motivated and procrastinate the work. Eventually, this work will catch up to you and it will be hard to get it all done. Regardless of if your class meets at its scheduled time, get up, and do that classwork during that time. For example, I have a public speaking class at 8 a.m. on MWF. Although we do not meet over zoom, I still get up at am and do the assigned work. Yes, it does stink having to get up so early but at the end of the day, I get the work done and do not have to worry about it later on.

Take written notes

Although it may be convenient to take notes on your computer during class, it can be hard to watch a zoom lecture and type at the same time. By taking written notes during your lecture you will retain the information better and it will be easier to watch since you’re not typing at the same time. Studies also show that by writing the information down you are more likely to remember it rather than if you just read or typed it. 

Study in advance (Don’t cram!)

One of the worst things you can do to study for a test is cram the night before. Although some people are crammers and retain the information better, usually, it does not work for most people. Instead of cramming all the information the night before study in chunks a few days in advance. As a junior, my studying routine has changed multiple times over the last three years. The best method I have found is to start studying about 2 weeks before the exam. Now I know that sounds crazy, but it does not start as hardcore studying. About two weeks before the exam I compile all the PowerPoints or notes from the lectures. I then make Quizlet flashcards for important terms or concepts. Throughout the week I will study those. About halfway through the week, I create a study guide for the notes. This organizes the important information helpfully and leaves out the unimportant information. During the week of the test, I go over my study guides, review the flashcards, and use a whiteboard to make sure I understand the concepts. By spreading out the studying time it allows you to have a deeper understanding of the material, while not overwhelming you. Even just doing an hour a day two weeks ahead of time, will be equivalent to a night of cramming, and in the long run, there’s a higher possibility that you will do better on the exams. 

Academics are a very important part of the “college experience”. It is why you are here after all. But I also think that the social aspect of college is equally important. Having social interactions with friends and doing things that you enjoy making the college experience better. Even though it is important to keep social distancing guidelines and wear a mask while around others, you can still hang out with friends. Meet up with your friends for dinner! Enjoying a meal with your friends will give you time to talk about your day and vent about your studies. It also gives you a chance to see people that you might not see in class. Another thing you can do is a zoom with your friends. Yes! Zoom is not just for classes and boring lectures. You can set up a zoom and email your friends the link. This way you can all talk and hang out in a virtual environment. 

Although this year has not been going as we all planned, I think it is important to look on the bright side. Because of the safety measures that are set in place, we can continue our education without too much of a disruption. We can still take the classes we need to and graduate to get the degree we set out to achieve. I think that if anything this pandemic has shown us just how precious our time is with each other, and when this is all over hopefully, we can all be together again.

Hi guys! My name is Brianna and I am a senior biology major with a creative writing minor at Utica College. I love to read and write and spend time outside, especially in the fall. I am planning to get my masters in adolescent education in order to teach biology. Spreading positive vibes to all my readers!