T’was the Night before a COVID Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

During the time of COVID-19, it can be difficult to find fun things to do on one of the best nights of the year, Halloween!! I’m sure as many people know, this Halloween is going to look a little different than in past years. Here are five fun things you can do this spooky season that also follow safety precautions during the pandemic. 

Reverse Trick or Treating!

As an RA at Utica College, we have to plan events that are COVID safe but still fun for residents to participate in. For Halloween, I and some of my RA friends have organized a reverse trick or treating event! The RAs will walk the building in costume going door to door to hand out candy the night before Halloween. If residents dress up in a costume, they get entered to win a spooky raffle basket! This is a great event for dorm buildings or apartment complexes and is COVID safe if everyone is wearing a mask and is social distancing.

Have a Spooky Night In!

As a student, an employee, a friend, a partner, or any other role you play in your daily life can suck every ounce of energy out of you. Having a spooky night in with your roommates or family members is a great way to destress. Watch some scary movies, eat sweet snacks, and maybe try a craft or activity you’ve never done before! This is a great opportunity to try new things while also staying safe. 

Try a TikTok Challenge!

Break out your dance moves! Trying a new TikTok dance or challenge is a great way to get your body moving and your brain thinking. Besides dancing, you can try a new recipe, a new art project, make a charcuterie board, or start an indoor plant garden! Spending time in quarantine can definitely get your creative juices flowing. Utilize this time to celebrate yourself and try new things! 

Netflix Scary Movie Marathon!

The world is your oyster when it comes to shows on Netflix, especially spooky ones! There is an entire category dedicated to thrillers and scary flicks, you are bound to find something you and your roommates or family members will enjoy! Some quick options are 

Green Room

Sleepy Hollow

The Babadook 

House of the Witch 

I’m Thinking of Ending Things

Not everyone is into a super scare on Halloween so you can also check out some more spooky options like Halloweentown or The Addams Family! Nothing wrong with the classics!

Spooky Among Us!

Among us is a super popular game available on your phone or computer. Up to ten people can play at a time online. It is definitely nice when you also have a zoom session or discord chat set up for emergency meetings and body reports. The game has an option to customize your character and there are spooky hats! Dress up your character in a spooky costume and complete the tasks in the Halloween decorated Skeld map! Definitely a fun and intense night for you and your friends!

My name is Maddy and I am a junior at Utica College studying Occupational Therapy