This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

2020 has been a challenging year for many of us, and as the year continues and people are still social distancing/quarantining everyone has had some extra time on their hands to pick up new hobbies or start new journeys in their lives. One of these journeys may include running a small business/producing artwork. I made the decision last year after picking up sewing as a hobby that I wanted to start my own business. My form of art may not be a typical art form such as painting, however, each product that I make is handcrafted with love and positivity. When I opened my own little Etsy shop, I had no idea what to expect. I did not know if I would make any sales, it could have been a huge waste of time and sometimes it does still feel like it, but then I found a community on Twitter of small businesses supporting each other and it just made me want to continue doing it.  But why does this matter? Why should you support small businesses? 

People who run small businesses put so much time and effort into their products each day, taking time to ensure that their customers are receiving the best products that they can produce. Almost any product that you can buy crafted at a store, you can buy from small businesses, I am not saying to only buy from small businesses because I do not even do that, however, I try to support small businesses as much as possible. When you support small businesses, you are supporting someone else’s dream. I would rather buy something that helps someone who is struggling to make their dreams come true than buying things from a larger corporation. In supporting small businesses you are also helping to reduce the carbon footprint that is created by large corporations in making their products. A lot of small businesses take a portion of their sales and donate it to a charity, even though the profit that they make off their products is generally not that high. Not only are you supporting their dreams, but you are also helping charities in need when purchasing their products. Etsy is a great place to find small businesses and other social media platforms such as Twitter. Farmer’s Markets are also a location in which small businesses often sell their products, and craft fairs as well! 

If you are interested in supporting small businesses here are a few shops that are worth checking out!:

CustomJordyns on Etsy:

Not being biased because Jordyn is a part of Oswego’s Chapter of Her Campus and she is my cousin, Jordyn’s shop is one to check out! She mainly has the stickers that she designed which are perfect for your computer, water bottle, phone case, etc. She also commissions artwork which you can message her for! She paints/draws gorgeous portraits of animals, so if you want a portrait of your furry friend. Jordyn is your girl!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CustomJordyns?ref=usf_2020

MutilatedPins on Etsy:

This shop is run by Ian, also local to this area, and his shop has a very unique edgy/hippie feel to it. He sells stickers, pins, and prints of his photos. He is an incredibly talented photographer and deserves support! 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MutilatedPins?ref=usf_2020

MindsetEarrings by Lily:

I found Lily’s shop through a small business group chat on Twitter and when I saw her earrings I fell in love! I bought these silver sunflower dangle earrings and I am obsessed with them! I do not typically ever change my earrings, but since these came in I have been constantly changing them. When you order 25% of the purchase goes to Faithful to Felines, an animal shelter in Muskegon, Michigan. She also recycles all the packaging she uses to try and keep the carbon footprint as low as possible. When my order came in she sent me a handpicked stone from Lake Michigan, as well as 15% off my next purchase from her. Below is a picture of the earrings I purchased on me and the link to her shop! 

https://mindsetearrings.bigcartel.com/products 

FreyjaCosmeticsStore on Etsy:

This store is run by my roommate Jackie and has a ton of homemade body products such as body scrub, lip oil, lip scrub, lip gloss, and more products to come! Fall scents are on its way, and the apple scent is to die for. Her products are cruelty-free and vegan. She has recently listed Tarot card readings as well! I have had mine read a couple of times by her, and I have complete faith in her readings. 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/FreyjaCosmeticsStore?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=807797723

Bows and Baby Artistry by Darica Pov on Facebook:

Darica is a photographer who mainly photographs newborns and maternity photoshoots. She does traditional photography for senior photos and special events. Darica also crafts props for other photographers. Her latest business venture has been custom event planning for baby showers and children’s birthday parties. Darica’s event planning services include elegant balloon garlands, backdrop installations, and general decorations.

Hi! My name is Jessica! I am technically an English major, but I am in the Childhood Education program and I am going to be an elementary school teacher. I have always loved writing so, I am taking my personal hobby to the next level. I am a cat mom of two adorable kitties, and I am also a plant mom. I run an etsy shop where I sell products that I sew by hand with love. I think everyone should do what they love without caring what other people think. You are all beautiful and unique in your own ways. :)