This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

As a NYC native i’m always finding new places to check out. Over spring break instead of going somewhere warm I decided to stay home and made it my mission to check out new places and things to do. Here’s a list of five places and events I ventured out to.

1. Macy’s Flower Show

The store is taken over with beautiful flower accented sculptures. It is a sight to see. I find it very interesting how creative the minds of the artists who created these masterpieces are.

2. Upright Citizens Brigade

I love improv comedy. The speed at which the comedians come up with bits is amazing. This is a fun thing to do in the evening. Some locations have shows every night.

3. New York Hall of Science

Who knew science could be so much fun. This museum is a fun and interactive activity that is suitable for all ages.

4. St. Patrick’s Day Parade

I usually tend to watch parades on the television but this year I decided to go out and experience the St. Patrick’s day parade.  I was thoroughly pleased with the the festivities and the crowd. The parade goers kept a positive and celebratory presence at the parade.

5. Botanical Garden

Maybe it’s my excitement  for warm weather to come but I also went to the New York Botanical Garden.They have multiple locations- in different boroughs. It is an extremely beautiful and mesmerizing walk through. I recommend for people who like art.  

This is a very short list of ideas for a city filled with an a multitude of activities to fill your days with. Like I said before i’ve lived in the city my whole life and these are five things I just discovered.That means there’s so much more that the city has to offer.

I'm currently a Junior at Utica College. I'm majoring in health studies and working towards occupational therapy for graduate school.
Meet Bianca, I am currently a Junior at Utica College in Utica, NY.  I am a Criminal Justice major with a concentration in Homeland Security.  Crime investigation has always been something that interests me.  I’m dedicated and passionate and it’s hard for me to quit things. I get that from my father so don’t hold it against me- he was a veteran and police officer for 20 years.   Growing up in a family centered around law enforcement has helped guide me in this direction, and I will forever be grateful.  After graduation I intend to continue on to law school where I can further my education in hopes of becoming a criminal defense lawyer and later on a District Attorney.  An interesting fact about myself is that I found the passion to be a criminal defense lawyer from watching the O.J. Simpson case.  The facts and conspiracy theories evoked a whole new passion behind criminal investigation that I intend to use in my future.  One of my most prominent moments in my writing career was when I wrote for an online magazine and had my most prevalent article hit 1.6k shares.  I believe in treating people with the same kind of respect and manners you would expect in return, and in a way it has helped shaped my expectations in life.   When you first meet me I won’t be the loudest in the room or the center of attention, but I will be intently listening to everything you say, for what you have to say may have a purpose. I believe in purpose. I believe that everyone is here to help you grow into who you are today and who you will be tomorrow.