rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Mental Health Awareness: Tips to Keeping Your Mind Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

With the middle of the semester bringing about a great deal of stress and anxiety among college students, it is important to be even more aware of the signs and signals you may see in your family, friends, and even in yourself, that may be a little self-care and help is needed. So take a look at these red flags that may make you think twice about asking someone if they could use a hand, or seeking out for some help yourself.

Being Reserved

We all have our own passions and hobbies that interest us. It may be somewhat of a concern if the things that once excited us don’t seem to draw in our interest anymore. When we begin to draw back from the things that brought us out of our shell, it is a sign of a much deeper problem. Lack of motivation can be signs of unhappiness or depression and it is important to look out for these things and to not take it lightly. If you begin to notice one of your friends losing interest in their previous passions, maybe you should personally invite them to do something that you know they have an interest in, that way you can be sure that they are getting out of their mind for a while.

Snapping Behavior

When we have trouble bottling up inside that we haven’t been able to get out, sometimes we are more likely to snap on others as a way of releasing our anger and frustration. If this were to happen to you, instead of jumping to conclusions, try asking if there is something bothering them and if they want to talk about it. Not everything is exactly how it appears on the surface. Take the time to ask the questions and to reach out a helping hand.

Loss of Appetite

Basic necessities don’t come as easily when we are fighting an internal battle. Simple things such as eating, sleeping and staying hydrated become almost like a chore. When offers to get food or grab coffee are turned down by those who would normally jump at the opportunity, that should be a sign that something isn’t right. Lack of sleep or excessive sleeping are also signs of some mental health issues. That shows a lack of motivation or desire to do daily tasks or anxiety so strong, it is impossible to get enough sleep. Being constantly tired and falling asleep in class or at work is a sign of sleep deprivation. Look out for your friends losing sleep over something that may not be clear to the eye.

With the winter months approaching, seasonal depression is something that will become more and more prominent. It is important to take care of yourself and to look out for the people in your life. Don’t ignore the red flags that pop up during these next few months. Something that you just brush off thinking it’ll just pass may turn into a problem that is harder to handle down the road. Take the time to take care of your body, both physically and mentally, so you can take this semester on with a clear mind and a fueled body.

Meet Bianca, I am currently a Junior at Utica College in Utica, NY.  I am a Criminal Justice major with a concentration in Homeland Security.  Crime investigation has always been something that interests me.  I’m dedicated and passionate and it’s hard for me to quit things. I get that from my father so don’t hold it against me- he was a veteran and police officer for 20 years.   Growing up in a family centered around law enforcement has helped guide me in this direction, and I will forever be grateful.  After graduation I intend to continue on to law school where I can further my education in hopes of becoming a criminal defense lawyer and later on a District Attorney.  An interesting fact about myself is that I found the passion to be a criminal defense lawyer from watching the O.J. Simpson case.  The facts and conspiracy theories evoked a whole new passion behind criminal investigation that I intend to use in my future.  One of my most prominent moments in my writing career was when I wrote for an online magazine and had my most prevalent article hit 1.6k shares.  I believe in treating people with the same kind of respect and manners you would expect in return, and in a way it has helped shaped my expectations in life.   When you first meet me I won’t be the loudest in the room or the center of attention, but I will be intently listening to everything you say, for what you have to say may have a purpose. I believe in purpose. I believe that everyone is here to help you grow into who you are today and who you will be tomorrow.