This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

The mailroom on campus is one of the places where you will be at least once in your four years of being at Utica College. If you order anything from a textbook to a phone case it will be sent to the mailroom and you will have to go and pick it up. I don’t know about everyone, but whenever I get an email from the mailroom saying I have a package I always get excited and can’t wait to go and pick it up. What you don’t know about the mailroom is that the staff struggles to keep up with the extreme upsurge in packages since everyone does order online almost on a daily basis. On some days the mailroom can receive up to 400 packages that we have to sort, scan, email, write on, and put in the right place. Some people might think it’s not a hard job, but doing that while students are coming up to the window trying to pick up their packages, it can get a bit challenging. Here are just a few do’s and don’ts when it comes to picking up your package. Also, remember the mailroom is located in Gordon 185!!!!

Do:

Make sure you have received an email from the mailroom before showing up to receive your package. Sometimes students will come to the mailroom and just expect their package to be ready when amazon tells them it was delivered. We have to go through all 400 packages to put them where they belong, your package can be in the mix of all of those which would be very difficult to find if you have not received an email. 

Don’t:

Try not to get an attitude if it takes longer than a minute to find your package. The mailroom on campus is small, we don’t have much room to spread the packages out. Sometimes the packages are next to each other or on top of one another and it takes a few minutes to be able to find them. Be patient!!

Do:

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR ID!!! You can not and will not be able to get your package if you do not have your student ID with you to show whoever is working. We need to verify who you are by your ID and we can’t give you a package without it.

Don’t:

Your friends can’t come to get your packages. Do not send your friend a screenshot of your email saying you have a package and expect them to be able to pick it up. You have to come and get your packages and we have to physically be able to see you in order to give you your package. 

Do:

Tell the person at the window how many packages you think you have. It makes it much easier when you let us know how many you might have so we can check and make sure you get all of your packages. Some people will leave packages in here because they didn’t say they had two or three and so it sits here for a long time until they come saying they didn’t get an email. Make sure you let us know. 

Don’t:

If you order something come pick it up in a timely fashion. Don’t just leave your package in the mailroom for two weeks because you are too lazy to come pick it up. Some packages have been in here since last year and it just sits there even though we email them reminders to let them know their package is still here. Remember to come to get your package!! How can you order something and then not care to pick it up when it says it is delivered. I could never do that, but people do that all the time. 

~The Whole Mailroom Community

I am a Senior at Utica College. I am a Psychology major with a minor in Sociology.