Living With My Friend In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

They say friends can’t live together, I did not believe that. I always thought my roommates and I were going to be friends. I could not imagine not becoming best friends with the person I was going to be sharing my college experience with. But it turns out I was wrong for the most part. I had trouble sharing spaces and living with my friend as my roommate freshman year.

When I started college, I was so excited about meeting my roommate because we really seemed to click when we were texting about being roommates. When I started college,  we became attached at the hip instantly. We did everything typical friends do like grabbing lunch together, going shopping or just sitting around and talking. Before our freshman year was over, we had already told each other that we wanted to room together for all four years of our college careers.

But then our relationship shifted a little when she would do things to upset me such as leave her side of the room a mess when she would leave, and she would take at least two hours to get ready so we could never go anywhere on time. She also would forget to clean the bathroom or leave the lights on when she would leave. It would upset me so much that it caused a little bit of tension, and I did not want to be her roommate anymore. I was not planning on confronting her about it, but after a while I could not look at the state of my messy room or be late to whatever event we had going on again so I decided these issues needed to be addressed.

I spoke to her about my concerns and told her that I did not like what she was doing. At first I think I caught her by surprise with my sudden talk of living issues with her especially since we’ve never had any issues before, but she understood. She had gotten so comfortable living with me and she did not think that her habits were going to be a bother to me since we had already been living together for over a year.

In the end, my roommate and I were able to work things out and still remain just as close in the end. She agreed to be more courteous about the cleanliness of her side of the room, be more quiet when she wakes up, and agreed to try to finish her makeup faster so we can get to where we’re going. I’m grateful to have the roommate I have. I’ll take losing a bit of sleep in the morning because of a friend waking me up rather than a roommate I didn’t get along with.