This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

I’m not saying don’t listen to your parents, because believe me 99% of the time I’m either glad I did or wish I did. This is the story of that 1% of the time I’m glad I didn’t… and I’m pretty sure my mom is glad too. I recently adopted a kitten, something my mom suggested many many times that I wait to do until after college, but I’m extremely glad I didn’t listen.

On August 5th, a foster house posted a picture on Facebook of a little calico kitten, a picture I may have never seen if it wasn’t for my friend tagging me in the comments (after months of me telling her I wanted a kitten). Immediately I fell in love. I knew that I had found the kitten I had been talking about wanting all summer. I messaged the page and found out what I needed to do in order to adopt her. Her name at the time was Trina, which I soon found out was because of where she was rescued from, all by herself at only a few weeks old. She was one tiny and lucky little girl.

Next, I went to meet her, when I say she fit in the palm of my hand I’m not joking. I filled out the adoption form, got consent from my landlord to keep her at my house, and that was it! She was mine, well in 3-4 weeks she would be at least! 

Finally, around a month later I got to pick up my new little friend. When my family finally met her and got to see her in person they finally understood just how small I kept telling them she was. Sophie, her new name, took a few days to warm up and start to explore my house, but now she already acts as if she owns it.

The reason I say listen to your mom… most of the time is because, I’ll admit my mom is usually right about things even when I don’t want to admit she is. This time though, she wasn’t, and I don’t regret for a second deciding to give my little rescued kitten a home. Ps. keep scrolling for a cute picture of my Sophie girl.

Class of 2020
Hi everyone!  My name is Katelyn DiViccaro and I am a freshman at Utica College. I am a cybersecurtity major and am always around computers.  But, I also have a love for anything makeup, advice, and romance.  Check out some of my articles and enjoy!