absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Illegal? Yes. Should it be? No

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

Did you know that it is only legal in eight states to break a car window in order to save a dog? California, Colorado, Indiana, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Florida, Ohio, and Tennessee are the only states that have what are called “Good Samaritan” laws that make it legal for any person to break a car window to save a pet. Although all 50 states have laws in place to protect animals from any type of neglect, cruelty or abuse, only some have laws that really protect them in a situation like this.

I see videos on Facebook all the time about a dog being saved from a hot car in the summer, but I never thought I would be put in a situation concerning a dog being in danger. Although it was not the hottest day, the sun was shining and the interior of my car was hotter than I felt comfortable sitting in. I pulled into a parking spot and I am glad I chose the one I did. If I had not parked there, who knows how long the dog would have been in the car without anyone noticing. At first I was just excited I got to see a cute dog, then minutes went by without the owner returning.  Thinking they would be out soon, I went into the store and returned maybe ten minutes later. The dog was STILL there, windows barely cracked an inch and the car was obviously getting hotter, just as mine did in the ten minutes I was gone. Being curious and worried, I waited and there was still no owner. Finally, I along with others around that noticed me looking into the car and wondered what was wrong, we found the owner in the store and she saw no problem with it, saying “we do it all the time.”

Knowing what I know now, after doing some research due to being extremely annoyed by the situation, I think it should one-hundred percent be legal to break a window if an animal is in danger. In New York, only law enforcement officers or humane officers are allowed to break a window to save a dog. In two states, New Jersey and West Virginia, no one is allowed to break a window to save a dog, not even law enforcement.

On the contrary, if a child’s life is in danger, in the same exact situation, it is widely accepted for a person to break a car window to save that child’s life. If a child’s life is in immediate danger, breaking a car window can be done without fear of a legal consequence. In my opinion, any life is a life, whether it is a child or a dog, saving that life should be legal. Which is why I would stand up any day for the fact that in New York, along with the other 41 states who do not allow it, breaking a car window to save a dog’s life should be legal.

Class of 2020
Meet Bianca, I am currently a Junior at Utica College in Utica, NY.  I am a Criminal Justice major with a concentration in Homeland Security.  Crime investigation has always been something that interests me.  I’m dedicated and passionate and it’s hard for me to quit things. I get that from my father so don’t hold it against me- he was a veteran and police officer for 20 years.   Growing up in a family centered around law enforcement has helped guide me in this direction, and I will forever be grateful.  After graduation I intend to continue on to law school where I can further my education in hopes of becoming a criminal defense lawyer and later on a District Attorney.  An interesting fact about myself is that I found the passion to be a criminal defense lawyer from watching the O.J. Simpson case.  The facts and conspiracy theories evoked a whole new passion behind criminal investigation that I intend to use in my future.  One of my most prominent moments in my writing career was when I wrote for an online magazine and had my most prevalent article hit 1.6k shares.  I believe in treating people with the same kind of respect and manners you would expect in return, and in a way it has helped shaped my expectations in life.   When you first meet me I won’t be the loudest in the room or the center of attention, but I will be intently listening to everything you say, for what you have to say may have a purpose. I believe in purpose. I believe that everyone is here to help you grow into who you are today and who you will be tomorrow.