I Go to College in my Hometown and Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

Why is there prejudice toward people who stay home for college? I feel like we often hear things like how unsuccessful the next person to attend their hometown college is, how they can’t bear to be away from home long enough to enjoy themselves or how they won’t be able to survive in the real world.

But none of this is true, and I can confidently say, as someone who has gone away and been the person who judged my hometown friends, it doesn’t matter where you spend your four years of college. All that matters is that you’re happy. College is for breaking away from high school norms and starting fresh.

When I went away to college, I was surprised to find that it actually broke me down and I felt like I lost who I was as a person. I come from a very close family that does everything together. Living with a stranger for the first time and not seeing my family took a huge toll on me. But this is when I realized that not everyone is meant to go away to school, and that is absolutely okay.

Everyone who played a role in my life not only knew how unhappy I was my first year in college, but they could truly feel it. Although I never told anyone how I was feeling, my loved ones could tell when I visited home for the first time. People told me I lost my “bubbly personality,” and it was true. Before long, I was barely getting by with my grades and I had no ambition to put effort into nearly every relationship I had – whether it was with friends, boyfriends or family friends.

I felt everyone distance themselves from me because I was doing the same first. No one and nothing was making me happy anymore and, truthfully, I didn’t even want to be happy because I didn’t seem to care. By the end of my first semester, I was single with terrible grades and had less than a handful of friends left. I found myself unhappier than the start.

During winter break, I visited my parents in Florida for over a month, with no one from school or home, and I just focused on me. I found myself feeling a little better – not necessarily where I wanted to be but better. In January, I began writing for an online magazine and met some really great friends at school, but I was still missing home more than ever and struggling in my classes. I found myself traveling home every weekend because I couldn’t bear to stay on campus.

Once the year was over, I still wasn’t happy at school but figured I would be fine by the end of the summer. But I ended up moving out on move-in day and ultimately decided I needed to go home. I enrolled in a private college in my hometown and have been so much happier ever since.

I thought I would be judged for going to school in my hometown, but upon reflection, I realized that letting that thought stir around in my head is actually what kept me from being happy. I had too much pride to come home or to say I wanted to come home, and it kept me from succeeding. Now, I am doing very well in school, I even made the Dean’s list. I reconnected with my friends and am well on my way to accomplishing the goals I have always wanted to achieve.

Don’t ever be afraid to do what you want because of what other people think. At the end of the day, I don’t regret my first year at college. I learned from my experiences and think this all happened for a reason because my year at college morphed me into the person I am today, and I am proud to say that.

Meet Bianca, I am currently a Junior at Utica College in Utica, NY.  I am a Criminal Justice major with a concentration in Homeland Security.  Crime investigation has always been something that interests me.  I’m dedicated and passionate and it’s hard for me to quit things. I get that from my father so don’t hold it against me- he was a veteran and police officer for 20 years.   Growing up in a family centered around law enforcement has helped guide me in this direction, and I will forever be grateful.  After graduation I intend to continue on to law school where I can further my education in hopes of becoming a criminal defense lawyer and later on a District Attorney.  An interesting fact about myself is that I found the passion to be a criminal defense lawyer from watching the O.J. Simpson case.  The facts and conspiracy theories evoked a whole new passion behind criminal investigation that I intend to use in my future.  One of my most prominent moments in my writing career was when I wrote for an online magazine and had my most prevalent article hit 1.6k shares.  I believe in treating people with the same kind of respect and manners you would expect in return, and in a way it has helped shaped my expectations in life.   When you first meet me I won’t be the loudest in the room or the center of attention, but I will be intently listening to everything you say, for what you have to say may have a purpose. I believe in purpose. I believe that everyone is here to help you grow into who you are today and who you will be tomorrow.