Wellness

How to Stay Safe on Campus During Covid-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

Everyone is so happy to finally be back on campus after we were told to leave in March due to the outbreak of Covid-19. Yes, we were all tested and if we are able to go to classes or live on campus we were negative, but that does not mean we are not susceptible to still getting sick. Just because you tested negative doesn’t mean that you can’t get sick while you are on campus or if you leave campus to go to Walmart, get food, hang out with friends off-campus, or even hang out with friends on campus. No matter what you should try your best to follow all the tips and tricks to stay safe. 

WEAR A MASK

This could not be said enough because people just don’t seem to understand the point of them. Masks really do help a great amount when it comes to stopping the spread of Covid-19. If you wear your mask you are at your safest.

Don’t go to parties/host parties

Be smart and be as safe as you can possibly be. You have to know that going to a party and not wearing a mask or just being that close to people, in general, is just not a good idea at all. Sometimes staying safe is better than having fun.

Practice social distancing

I know you probably missed all of your friends the six months that we were away from Utica College but you have to try and social distance anyway. When you’re walking in the hallways don’t get too close to people, be respectful, and be able to keep your distance. 

Wash your hands with soap

Regularly washing your hands with soap and warm water. Doing this will get rid of most germs and bacteria on your hands. You should wash your hands before doing anything and after doing everything. It might seem annoying that you have to wash your hands so much, but it is a necessary precaution to take.

Daily health screening

Make sure you let Utica College know if you’re feeling any symptoms of COVID-19. Again this might be annoying to have to do every day, but it is something that needs to be done in order to keep people safe on campus. Also, it is important, to BE HONEST with your screening. 

Try alternatives from hugs and handshakes

When you see your friends don’t just jump into a hug or a “high five” you have to be smarter than that. Just try to say “hey” and ask each other “how have you been”. I fully understand that you miss them but we have to be sure that we are being safe from spreading anything if it is there.

Stay Safe,

Kelly 

I am a Senior at Utica College. I am a Psychology major with a minor in Sociology.