This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

It can be hard not to give in to the negative vibes around you, and to constantly be in a good place. Sometimes you feel down, and you might not know the cause directly but here are a few tricks to pull yourself through.

1. Breathe

As your mind is reeling, remember that sometimes you just need to breathe to calm yourself down. Take a deep breath, several small breathes or however many you need.

2. Put on some music that soothes, energizes, or hypes you up

Music helps me through the hardest moments in my life and the right song often speaks to me. Get up and dance even, if you need to and shake it off. However, the wrong song can make me feel even more somber so avoid songs with deep or sad topics.

3. Tell yourself positive things and try and complete one task

Often you just need to fill your mind with positive thoughts, and your mood will lighten. Put on a face mask, brush your teeth and wash your teeth, take a shower and maybe it will motivate you to do something else.

4. Don’t ignore your friends

In that moment you need good people around you and you might just need to spend some time with your friends and talk to them.

The solution is often not difficult and might be as simple as putting on a song or texting someone and they might not always work sometimes, you just need to wallow. However, don’t let yourself wallow for too long and try and pick yourself up even if it might seem impossible.

Meet Bianca, I am currently a Junior at Utica College in Utica, NY.  I am a Criminal Justice major with a concentration in Homeland Security.  Crime investigation has always been something that interests me.  I’m dedicated and passionate and it’s hard for me to quit things. I get that from my father so don’t hold it against me- he was a veteran and police officer for 20 years.   Growing up in a family centered around law enforcement has helped guide me in this direction, and I will forever be grateful.  After graduation I intend to continue on to law school where I can further my education in hopes of becoming a criminal defense lawyer and later on a District Attorney.  An interesting fact about myself is that I found the passion to be a criminal defense lawyer from watching the O.J. Simpson case.  The facts and conspiracy theories evoked a whole new passion behind criminal investigation that I intend to use in my future.  One of my most prominent moments in my writing career was when I wrote for an online magazine and had my most prevalent article hit 1.6k shares.  I believe in treating people with the same kind of respect and manners you would expect in return, and in a way it has helped shaped my expectations in life.   When you first meet me I won’t be the loudest in the room or the center of attention, but I will be intently listening to everything you say, for what you have to say may have a purpose. I believe in purpose. I believe that everyone is here to help you grow into who you are today and who you will be tomorrow.