Small Pumpkin In Hand
Small Pumpkin In Hand
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Fall in Love with Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

Pumpkin spice and sweater weather is in the air my loves! It is almost officially the fall season. I am here, I am ready for it and if fall is your favorite season too this list is just for you! Everyone keeps telling me not to rush the summer, but as far as I am concerned as soon as Dunkin has their pumpkin spice flavor out it is fall. If you’re bored and looking for fun activities to do this fall… welcome to your tour! Here are some of my favorite things to do during the fall season. 

Corn Mazes:

I know it sounds a little juvenile to be doing corn mazes, but they are fun for everyone. Whether you want to go with your significant other, friends, or family. Some places even have flashlight nights which makes the maze tricker to get through. I try to go to a corn maze once a year with my family, we typically go with my younger cousins who like to make the corn maze a competition which makes it more enjoyable for the little ones. I typically go to the Remsen Depot corn maze which is about 30 minutes from Utica if you’re not from the Utica area and are unsure. Their hours are currently tentative due to the pandemic, but hopefully, they will still be up and running!

Fall Baking:

I love baking, whenever I have spare time and I am looking for something to do, baking is usually what I turn to. Fall baking is my favorite kind of baking to do, maybe it’s because I have a love for pumpkin, or maybe it is just because it’s my favorite season. Whenever I am unsure of what I want to bake my first step is Pinterest. I go to Pinterest for everything and anything you can think of. Just type in fall baking and you will be overwhelmed by the number of results you get. My go-to is usually pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, however, I just made pumpkin cheesecake muffins a couple of weeks ago and they were fantastic! Honestly, unless you have a specific recipe that you love I highly recommend just trying out different recipes or even make your own.

Scenic Chair Lift:

A couple of years ago, my mom and I went to McCauley Mountain in Old Forge for their fall scenic chair lift. From the chair lift, you could see a whole different perspective of the trees and their changing colors. The sight was beautiful and the pictures that I got were amazing. You want to go when the leaves are at their peak, the weather is usually chilly in Old Forge at this time so I suggest bringing a blanket or extra layers. 

Pumpkin Carving:

Pumpkin carving may be more of a “Halloween” activity, but there is no rule when you carve pumpkins. I love carving pumpkins. It is one of my all-time favorite fall activities and it shocks me to hear how many of my friends have never tried pumpkin carving or have not done it in years. Pumpkin carving is one of those activities that you can do alone or you can do it with others. It is a great way to show creativity and even if you are not the most creative person there are stencils you can use to aid you! You can also paint pumpkins instead of carving them if carving is not your thing. I have slowly started to carve more challenging pumpkins over the years and it amazes me how they turn out, in the end, every time. A couple of years ago when IT became popular I carved a Pennywise pumpkin and it is still my favorite one to this date. 

Apple Picking:

So, I have never actually been apple picking because it is an activity that I personally would like to do as a date, however, obviously it does not have to be. But, apple picking is just one of those activities that scream the beginning of fall. It gives you something to do on a cool fall day when you’re bored, and it also provides you with a healthy fruit that you can eat as is or use in baking. 

Just because summer comes to an end and the weather begins to change does not mean you suddenly have nothing to do. There are so many activities you can occupy yourself within the fall that can be fun and affordable. Hopefully, this list sparks your interest in activities that you can fill your spare time with this fall. 

Hi! My name is Jessica! I am technically an English major, but I am in the Childhood Education program and I am going to be an elementary school teacher. I have always loved writing so, I am taking my personal hobby to the next level. I am a cat mom of two adorable kitties, and I am also a plant mom. I run an etsy shop where I sell products that I sew by hand with love. I think everyone should do what they love without caring what other people think. You are all beautiful and unique in your own ways. :)