This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

On Christmas, I always look forward to opening presents. Whether it would be in my stocking or wrapped up under the Christmas tree!

When I look back at Christmas memories, I remember some fun times I had in elementary school such as: 

• Making Christmas cookies 

• Christmas shopping for presents that were on my Christmas wish list 

• Getting a lot of toys 

Now that I’m an adult, I still look forward to opening presents on Christmas! Some presents that I enjoy getting from family are new clothes, make-up, and Christmas candy – that usually ends up in my stocking. 

I love it when we trick each other with our Christmas presents!

• Christmas 2015: I would open one of my presents and after opening it I found a box of brownies. However, inside this brownie box was gum and make-up. After getting tricked on this present me and my parents are laughing SO hard!

• Christmas 2018: I would open one of my presents and I found a doughnut box. However, it wasn’t doughnuts in the box; instead, the box was filled with gum, winter gloves, and nail polish. My parents were laughing hysterically on the couch about it!

• Christmas 2019: On this Christmas, I thought of tricking my parents on their presents. I would use two small Dunkin Donuts boxes I had when I ordered powdered munchkins. I used tissues and rolled them into munchkin sizes in order for my parents to think I gave them powdered munchkins. Both of them thought it was so funny and as they were going through the box, getting the fake munchkins out of there, they found their presents at the bottom. My mom got her green nail polish, and my dad got his mini notebook and brand new pencils. 

• Christmas 2020: Even though COVID-19 was going on throughout the year, my Christmas didn’t change. However, I and my parents got tricked with a present. When I opened one of my presents that had a box of David’s Cookies. One of them had Reese’s Christmas Trees in them! I laughed so hard about it. I also tricked my parents with one of their presents. I tricked my dad with a Dunkin Donuts iced latte cup. Dad thought it was coffee, but instead of coffee, there was correction tape in there for him. When it comes to my mom’s present I had for her, I tricked her with a big shoebox. When she opened the shoebox, she was surprised to see a Christmas music box and Sleep Styler in there. 

These fun moments of tricking each other on presents can make opening presents fun and exciting for everybody. I would definitely recommend trying it to add some spice to your holiday season!

In my opinion, Christmas is the most exciting and fun holiday to celebrate with family. No wonder why Christmas is my favorite holiday. 

I'm a Utica University Alumni '21 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Liberal Studies. My hobbies are shopping, watching movies, and listening to music. My favorite color is purple. I like water landscapes and games. I was a member of the following clubs and organizations: 1. Ampersand 2. Active Minds (Public Relations Officer) 3. Art Club (Secretary) 4. Math Club (Webmaster) 5. The Tangerine 6. Women In A New Direction (W.I.N.D) 7. Cybersecurity Club 8. Accounting Society 9. Literature Society (President) 10. Young Americans for Liberty 11. Her Campus 12. Psychological Society (Secretary) 13. Psychology-Child Life Society (Secretary) 14. Billiards Club (Webmaster) 15. Nutrition Club 16. UCTV (Video Production Aide) 17. Student Government Association (Senior Class Treasurer) 18. UC Programming Board 19. American Cancer Society On-campus 20. Coordinated Community Response Team Student Advisory Board 21. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Collaborative 22. National Society of Leadership and Success 23. Student Conference 2021