This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

I first wanted the Animal Crossing: New Horizons game when I saw all the fun TikToks about it. After I looked up the game, I would continuously receive Instagram and Facebook ads about it. Despite all of the advertising I was getting I couldn’t buy the game because I didn’t have a Nintendo Switch, the console the game is to be played on. I had decided I wanted the game and therefore needed the console, but the consoles were sold out everywhere. Over the whole summer, with quarantine, Nintendo Switches were in low supply. I did finally get one, and I have had the console and the game for about a month now (I also bought Mario Kart, which is super fun as always). So, do I think Animal Crossing: New Horizons was worth the wait, and the money I spent on the game and the console? In short, yes, for me the hype was real. 

To be honest, I am not interested in most video games. I don’t like the intense action of the fierce combat that a lot of the popular games have, it is just not for me, but my boyfriend loves video games. My boyfriend wants me to play video games too, but he knows I find action games stressful instead of fun, so he is the one who suggested that I should buy the new Animal Crossing game. I had seen it and told him that I thought it looked neat, but I wasn’t sure if I wanted to spend the money, he said he was sure it would be worth it. So, I went to buy the game, as I said it was hard to get my hands on the console, but when I did I immediately started to play the game. 

In the month that I have had the game, I think I have progressed a lot. I am still far behind other players who have had the game longer, which is expected, but I think I am steadily advancing in the game which is good enough for me. I like the pace of the game, it is not so slow that I am bored, but it is not too fast which would make me overwhelmed. My favorite aspect of the game is the museum, I want to completely fill the museum. My main goal in the game is to fill the museum, but you can pick what you want to prioritize in the game. Maybe you want to catch fish, or build infrastructure, or find the best residents for your island, I like that you can design your gameplay around what you want to do. Also, it is fun to meet the characters who visit your island, to decorate your home, and to collect clothes and furniture. I think the game has something for everyone and is a great way to spend your free time.

The one thing that I do not absolutely love about the game is that I feel obligated to play it every day. Some days I am busy, but I still start up the game even if it is just for ten minutes to at least get my daily free miles from the Nook Stop and collect the fossils on my island. With that, if you have more self-control than me, as far as breaking a streak, then you absolutely do not need to play every day. For me, I do not think that it is a completely bad thing that I play every day, I feel like that means I got my money’s worth, which is not something that usually happens with video games. I normally get frustrated or bored with a game within a week and put them away, but I am a month in with playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and I still want to play which shows that this is a good game for me. I love the game, and I would recommend it to anyone who thinks they would enjoy it. 

I am a mathematics major at Utica college. On campus I am also a sister of Theta Phi Alpha sorority, a member of the honors program, and the math club.