This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

I am not incredibly short, but I am 5’0”, so I would say that I am below average in the field of height, which is perfectly fine with me. A lot of people assume that I would want to be taller, but that is not the case, I think being short is the best, and I’ll tell you why.

High Heels, Yes

High heels are always a yes when you’re short. You never have to worry about towering over anybody, or looking awkwardly tall because the heels just put you on the same level as everyone else. Also, it’s a bonus that people don’t have to look down to see you.

Hitting Your Head? Never

I never worry about hitting my head when I am getting in or out of a car. I also don’t have to duck to walk under trees or low hanging signs. Plus I have never seen a shower where the shower head wasn’t a good foot above my head. I think all that is pretty convenient.

You’re Not Expected To Carry Big Things

No one is going to ask me to move a dresser that is as tall as me. I like that I am not expected to help with the heavy lifting, but I am the kind of person who always wants to help out in some way, so I’ll move all of the smaller boxes for you, but the furniture, no.

You’re Never Cramped

Everyone else has to yell “shotty,” but I don’t have a problem sitting in the back of a car, I even let the people in the front push their seat back, I have plenty of room. Planes aren’t that bad either, I never feel overly cramped. Also, sleeping on a twin size bed isn’t a problem, being short I still have enough space to spread out. 

You Get To Be In The Front

I love pictures, and I think that it’s a big benefit of being short that I am front and center of any group photos. It’s super easy to point myself out when I am the short one that’s right in the front. I love when the photographer says “shorter people come to the front,” I always go and get my prime spot for the photo.

I think there are so many benefits of being short, and for me, the pros outweigh the cons. I can’t imagine being a tall person, it’s not what I was given nor is it what I would want. Though on that note, no matter what your height is, embrace it, everyone should feel good about standing up straight, no matter how tall you stand. 

I am a mathematics major at Utica college. On campus I am also a sister of Theta Phi Alpha sorority, a member of the honors program, and the math club.